Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: well this is new [spoiler]  (Read 1102 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
well this is new [spoiler]
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:12:49 pm »

So I'm running a glacier fort and I dig down looking for the magma sea. I'm at level -97 before I hit the first cavern. Ok so this is nothing new it happens on islands. what is new is what happens when I get to hell. turns out I have bypassed the magma sea entirely and dug clear down into hell through regular rock. Not only that but there are no demons, no unearthly scrams some mud on the floor and the missing magma is coming in from a corner of the map and draining into a glowing pit. i think I like this bug.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: well this is new [spoiler]
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:14:31 pm »

Are Clowns Magma-proof?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 08:18:47 pm »

yes but I don't have any
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 08:21:52 pm »

I've also had forts where hell could be accessed via regular rock, but there was magma sea nearby, cut out in odd blocks so that it had very square boundaries.  There were demons though, and no drainage of magma.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:25:53 pm »

Well, you got yourself a very colonist-friendly hell. Do build a fortress there.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:28 pm »

A clown-free circus experience!
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 02:25:10 am »

sounds like the hell's backdoor i read from wiki.
seems it does not trigger the circus.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 02:40:45 am »

Meh you were lucky enough to don't have clowns , but anyways they either left hell or there just not existent or they frozen when you broke in =3
Desu

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 06:49:01 am »

Or, even more frightening, YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING EVIL ENOUGH TO DESERVE HELL.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 07:24:27 am »

Or, even more frightening, YOU HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING EVIL ENOUGH TO DESERVE HELL.

Sorry, what?  I was too busy decorating my elf skull totem with elf bone to hear you.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 09:28:39 am »

Sorry, what?  I was too busy decorating my elf skull totem with elf bone to hear you.

Dwarf Fortress makes the concept of "evil" and the concept of "highly amusing" into the same amalgamated mass.

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 09:43:04 am »

I had a map where at the way beginning magma sea seemed to collapse into hell.  I was able to open it up, but I haven't gotten my dwarfs down there yet.  No demons have appeared yet, but we'll see what happens. 

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 10:29:30 am »

You say that like decorating elf skull totems with elf bones is somehow evil. It's not only acceptable, but expected. How else is the immortality of elves balanced out, if not for the dwarves?
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...