Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger Room too full?  (Read 1517 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: Danger Room too full?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 11:09:44 am »

How do we weaponize this?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 04:30:46 pm »

Lagslayer, could you post a picture of what you're danger room and it's surroundings look like?

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 04:49:36 pm »

How do we weaponize this?

Easy, create a single tile corridor with no walls, various levels above ground. Make it long and filled with traps. Gobbos will come, be forced to walk along the corridor, and either get butchered by the traps or dodge off the side into a 150z level fall directly into the magma sea.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 05:13:12 pm »

I'd be glad to post a screenshot, but I don't know how. How do I do this?

edit: Seems I found a way, but it will not let me upload the file. Anyways, they can't seem to dodge through my walls. They will, however, frequently dodge out the unlocked door and several tiles down the hallway in either direction.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:41:45 pm by Lagslayer »

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 05:29:17 pm »

1. PrtSc key
2. Open Paint, paste
3. Go to Imageshack or summat
4. Upload
5. Get direct link
6. Use [img] tags here
7. Done

To save space, put the image in spoiler tags
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 05:45:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Did it work? Please excuse the discarded clothes on top of the trap and the outer door.

I moved my military dwarves out of the room so that I could take a better screenshot of the area. They will frequently dodge to or outside the "door" and a few tiles in either direction down the hallway.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:47:01 pm by Lagslayer »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 06:15:37 pm »

Heh, interesting find.
Perhaps, this could be used to create a random number generator for dwarven computing :D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cameo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 03:43:24 am »

The sole entrance to my current fort (and most of my last few) is a 5-wide corridor with many cage traps and then many weapon traps loaded with 10 serrated iron discs each in case there's too many gobbos for the cages.

In my last siege there was a gobbo elite swordsman who came late enough to miss out on the luxury accommodation of a cage and walked on the weapon traps. Teleported sideways from the one he walked on, then forwards over the rest into a large amount of waiting military dwarves and got slaughtered. I wondered what the hell'd happened and his combat log (before being butchered) was several pages of dodging the traps spam.

Reasonably easy to weaponise (the single row above a drop into magma sounds good), but bit trickier to make it available for your dwarves to teleport around
Dwarf fortress... The only place where it is a viable economic alternative to use silver for bulk storage of random trinkets.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 04:01:50 am »

It's probably most akin to quantum-tunneling, in that it happens randomly and is probably made less likely by thicker walls. 

It would be an interesting way to deploy your military while maintaining a full lockdown of your fort.  I will have to investigate this.  Does having more weapons in your trap increase the probability of tunneling?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 07:11:37 am »

Oh wow, I can imagine what serrated disks would do.  Each of those hits 3 times, for 30 attacks, all of which can be dodged, for a maximum dodge teleport of 30 spaces, but of course shorter because sometimes they would dodge one left, then the next one right, and cancel out the distance.
Pages: 1 [2]