Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fort just bugged and I have no idea why...  (Read 613 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My fort just bugged and I have no idea why...
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:28:32 am »

I got a load of new migrants and was assigning them jobs while chasing down skeletal rhesus macaque with my military. This was the first migrant wave and I was still living out of the wagon and my dwarves idled on the surface.

I assigned a load of jobs in my workshops (new doors, beds, etc) and all the jobs cancel by themselves with no announcement. I notice two of my miners are starving/dehydrated and this is when I noticed the strangest part.

The miners could do anything underground if I set them the labour, however they won't use items on the surface, they can still travel to the surface. This means they won't eat/drink and will die, if this happens it's over as I'm pretty sure the surface dwellers won't retrieve the picks and I won't be able to dig anymore. Now the people on the surface are the opposite, they will interact with things on the surface but are refusing to use anything underground. Movement is fine, I can station people anywhere. I've checked burrows and priority settings and they're all empty.

What's suddenly caused a split between my 2 miners and everybody else? It's like controlling two fortresses at once which is rather annoying as only two dwarves have access to my fortress but no supplies.

Edit: I'll note that I added four more stairwells in new places. I even dug out a fresh section, connected it to the surface, then to the fortress. Nothing. I even tried ramps incase stairs were being weird... Nothing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:31:42 am by Dwarfotaur »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: My fort just bugged and I have no idea why...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:40:36 am »

Job interruption?  Is there a macaque stuck in the stairwell perhaps?

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:46:21 am »

The surface dwellers don't even try to do their assigned jobs down below. They never move. Sometimes the jobs are cancelled and sometimes they just sit in the queue. My stairwell only goes down 2 z layers and there's nothing in it. Everything but dwarves/pets is deceased on the U screen.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:50:39 am »

For ramps, is there a wall behind the ramps? And for your stairs, did you mix up the up and down staircase? (Not trying to be rude, but hey, you never know...)

The stairs work fine. They used them earlier and I never changed them. Just to be sure though, the main stairwell is a Downward Stairway on the top, then two layers have an up/down stairway then the bottom (the fortress) has an up stairway. As mentioned though, the stationed units can freely travel from surface to fortress. It just seems the pathfinding for civs has gone haywire, even if I add new entrances.

I've been playing DF a long time and never had this problem or a problem with stairs :P