Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orphaned Quests and Empty Sites?  (Read 1326 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Orphaned Quests and Empty Sites?
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:51:47 pm »

I have two quests in adventure mode that look impossible to complete. Both are camps where the target seems to have fled. The first one, I'm not sure what happened. I killed the two-or-three companions that my target had but the target seems to have escaped.

The second one included a group of goblins as guards. I was planning to attack them but it was nightfall and I needed to sleep, first. I camped a short walk from them and was attacked by bogeymen during the night. I drew the bogeymen into the camp and they attacked everyone. By the time I killed the last bogeyman, everyone was dead except for me and the target. I began sneaking to ambush them and they ran eastward into the trees. I never found them, despite searching. I even waited for daylight and searched again.

I've returned to both sites and they are empty (except for remnants of clothing, etc). It appears I have no way of ever finishing those quests. Anyone else experience that? Is there anything I can do?

Also, am I the only one whose adventurers seem to be drowsy a lot?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Orphaned Quests and Empty Sites?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:59:19 am »

Have you tried waiting for some time to see if they return? Otherwise you might just have to walk around a lot till you stumble across them.

For the drowsyness it seems to vary a bit per adventurer what is your toughness stat (not shure it matters but...)?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:41:57 am »

Toughness might have something to do it. I'll try to keep an eye on that.

As to the quests, well, that adventurer is unfortunately dead... Fighting bogeymen alone seems to be a bad gamble :p

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 05:49:30 am »

you can't fight them with others , if you sleep with a companion or more they won't pop up
Desu

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:36:37 pm »

Peh, I have nicknamed my adventurer Caevin BogeyHaunter, I always travel alone at night and slaughter every group of bogeymen that dare attack me.

But as for the OP, I've had the same problem. With my first quest no less, I murdered the camp fine but apparently didn't get the captain, and I have never been able to find them since. Fortunately after some time passed when I was away doing other things I was able to kill a goblin that refused to be at their original camp, so I have just one quest I haven't been able to finish now. Maybe they quake in fear at our might?

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:48:01 pm »

Qinetix - That was my understanding. The exception is this: you can fight them with others, if you lead them into a camp, as per my original post.

Caevin - Well, I don't know what you're doing differently but they just punch and bite through any armour or skin. It gets really deadly when you are surrounded; one unfortunate strike can bring you to the ground and then they have you. Are you playing with some mod? Or maybe starting out with legendary stats or something?

As for the fear... I considered it. It does seem possible? Would be kinda cool....

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 10:38:43 pm »

Well the first many times I fought them I was slaughtered mercilessly just like that, however now I usually travel at night instead of sleeping (getting caught while sleeping is pretty much instant-death). Plus I've gotten my stats up to at least proficient in all fighting, and I have superior agility. So I run around in circles to fight them one on one and lop off whatever limbs I can while they bleed to death like the wimps they are (though lately I've just been cutting their heads and bodies off, pretty B.A. for my one-armed girl I think). And I have Fortress Defense Mod, but I am fairly certain it does not affect standard creatures.

Anyhoo, back on topic. Sadly I don't think fear plays a role (at least in that way). I had thought that since I wiped out all the camp except the leader that it just got abandoned and he never came back (out of fear I can imagine!), except that the second camp that happened with I was able to come back and kill the leader as I said above.
Sigh as far as I can tell it's some sort of bug, or I'm just bloody unlucky, or who knows, maybe somebody else killed them and got the glory.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:58:59 pm »

Interesting. At least with the second quest, I did actually see the target run away. I was sneaking at the time and they just ran eastward. I stopped sneaking and tried to pursue but I never saw them again. Likewise, I had killed the rest of the camp. So, I wonder, what else would they be running after, if not running away?

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:37:37 pm »

Interesting. At least with the second quest, I did actually see the target run away. I was sneaking at the time and they just ran eastward. I stopped sneaking and tried to pursue but I never saw them again. Likewise, I had killed the rest of the camp. So, I wonder, what else would they be running after, if not running away?

I'm guessing he's chasing random wildlife.  Bandits and companions seem to have a big issue with groundhogs, camels, horses, etc.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 01:44:09 am »

Ah, yes. That could be... I wonder if it made any difference that I was unseen (sneaking)?

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 04:57:34 pm »

Ah, yes. That could be... I wonder if it made any difference that I was unseen (sneaking)?

If he can't see you, he won't chase you.  Also, you were probably moving a lot slower since you were sneaking, so he could outrun you.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 09:43:48 pm »

If he can't see you, he won't chase you.  Also, you were probably moving a lot slower since you were sneaking, so he could outrun you.

Of course. I just meant that, I wonder if a hostile would give up because they can't see you.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 12:06:44 am »

I've been having problems with missing quest creatures as well. I was sent to kill some Bleak Croney's bridegroom or some such. Before reaching the lair I was accosted by the child of the Bleak Croney, and it ripped both of my companions to shreds with an empty sock. I somehow managed to cripple it before I went down myself. It was a close one. I was in the process of hacking away at him, but then his parents showed up.. I just ran like hell. I guess I was faster than them because I managed to escape, but when I returned with a larger band of companions, the creatures were nowhere to be seen. I checked the lair and they weren't there, and without a map marker it was impossible for me to tell where I confronted them the first time. I checked back at the lair three or four times during the game and never found them.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:11:57 am by debvon »

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 01:18:52 am »

I've been having problems with missing quest creatures as well [...] I checked back at the lair three or four times during the game and never found them.

Yeah, that sounds similar. It might be time to put in a bug, if it's not already in there.