Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Announcement Rape  (Read 896 times)

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Announcement Rape
« on: February 02, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »

I have magma forges set up atop the magma sea in my fort. Built over an artificial floor, the plan was to eventually pave over the entire area, giving me access to the third cavern level and its resources.

Then the skeletal blind cave ogre came. It harrassed a smith, then fell into the magma sea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's been down there for months, always burning, never being fully consumed. Worse still, it's been giving me constant announcement spam about being caught in magma. Sometime later, a skeletal giant olm did the same thing, and I now get double the spam. Their combat logs were at 68 pages each, and my own <a>lerts would never go beyond a single page.

Now it's gone so far that all my combat logs are void.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone have any what the hell just happened here?

Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement Rape
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:23:13 pm »

I've found that my announcement log resets every season.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:31:26 pm »

In this case you might want to utilize DFHack.  Use the fluid generator to create a 1/7 tile of flowing water above or on these creatures.  It will then cast into obsidian, encasing and killing them, although you will have that block of obsidian there, if you care about it.

Alternatively, archer them to death, or mod an animal to live in magma.  Like, change dogs to survive in magma, go kill them, and un-mod, or something.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 04:53:33 am »

if you dump bones in magma, they melt.  This guy is made of bones, so he should melt.  I assume you have temperature on, so beyond that I have no idea why he isn't melting.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:54:32 am »

Because the undead don't play by the rules.  They have a traditional HP system, unlike normal animals that sorta-kinda obey biology.  It seems that magma is a very slow drainer for HP.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:58:54 am »

conduct a malicious cave-in atop it might end this irritation.