Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Empty Volcano  (Read 1347 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Empty Volcano
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:08:47 pm »

I embarked on a volcano.

It had no magma in it. At all. (Unless you count the magma sea-but give me a moment.)

I looked down, down, down underground to see if there was any magma lower down. There wasn't, but there were all three cavern layers exposed and visible, plus the magma sea at the bottom. Which was evidently too much for my old computer; I had to abandon after a while, once the critters started spawning.

What? I was under the impression that magma pipes were supposed to mean magma at the surface, not clear sight to magma deep underground...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Volcano
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:56 pm »

I assume that you disabled the HFS?

Not that I'm aware of.
I didn't see that far down, though-it seems the "volcano" "ended" in the magma sea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:52:35 pm »

I had the same question, you must have HFS off (bottom layer), having the magma layer on doesn't fix it, turn HFS on and gen a new world. (To turn it back on, go into the seed you used and find the bottom layer, its with the other layers, and turn it on.)

EDIT: Oh, and you'll be able to tell if its off by:
No HFS
No magma in volcanoes
No cotton candy
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:54:26 pm by Daveorock »
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:43:45 pm »

I had the same question, you must have HFS off (bottom layer), having the magma layer on doesn't fix it, turn HFS on and gen a new world. (To turn it back on, go into the seed you used and find the bottom layer, its with the other layers, and turn it on.)

EDIT: Oh, and you'll be able to tell if its off by:
No HFS
No magma in volcanoes
No cotton candy

Now that you mention it...Huh, I didn't think that that would drain volcanoes.
I revise my earlier statement.
Sig

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:50:56 pm »

So, just to clarify, no clowns means no cotton candy?

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:24:20 am »

So, just to clarify, no clowns means no cotton candy?

No tent means no treats.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 05:13:02 am »

i had a dream about embarking on one of the old style magma vents from 40d, where the top level was flat instead of a mountain.  All was peachy up until the end of the first year, at which point the volcano began violently erupting every month, spewing enormous amounts of smoke into the air and lava on the surface.  My magma forges were fine, and i sort of considered torching the surface level a cool bonus, but after every eruption, the magma level in the vent would return to a lower level. After a whole year of eruptions, the vent was completely empty.  At that point, the magma sea rose, eating away through stone layers like smr.  The effect was that the whole world sunk into the magma once the volcano emptied itself.  Everything died.  It was a scary dream.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:31:34 am »

Use it as an execution tower.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.