Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves see tiles with contaminants as low traffic  (Read 1454 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Dwarves see tiles with contaminants as low traffic
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 04:31:42 pm »

(In fact, don't we already have this with water and magma?  They block pathways, and are dynamic, as well.)

Actually, we already have it with other dwarves, I think.  They'll try to make a short detour to go around each other in hallways, if you've noticed.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves see tiles with contaminants as low traffic
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »

That's not the same - they don't do that as part of their initial pathfinding, they just have code where, if a tile the pathfinding routine told them to go through becomes inaccessable, then they won't check it until they are right about to step into that tile, and then will try to take a detour or re-path to their destination.

You can test this with locking and unlocking doors - dwarves can immediately tell which doors are locked or unlocked when they are about to path, but if it is locked while they are on their way, they will stop, get the "?" mark, and then try to find a different path.

This also happens with water - they won't path through deep water if deep water is there when they launch the pathfinding routine, and if that area gets flooded, they may actually try to walk through deep water, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]