Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horrible router problems  (Read 994 times)

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
Horrible router problems
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:44:58 am »

Hey guys, this problem cropped up a few hours ago, and since I've been ready to burn down the house in anger.

I'm using the internet via a direct cable with the actual modem, so I know that works, but wireless won't connect anymore (local only if the cable is plugged into the router, and I know this, because it's happening over 3 different computers.

I've tried using the generic router setup thingo (198.169.0.1) but it won't renew the connection. The router I'm using is the D-Link Dl-524 model.
Tried turning the modem on and off, unplugging and re-plugging everything, but it still doesn't work.

Power is solid green, status is blinking, WAN is nothing (I think this is the problem, as the DHCP-renew is under WAN) and WLAN is blinking at random intervals.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible router problems
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:00:58 am »

You cant connect with wireless but you can with cable correct? I would say it's something in the settings of the router, windows is very sensitive about password length if you use wpa/wpa2. Had a similar problem here at home, linux computers could connect without problems but windows computers could not.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:06:46 am »

We're still using WEP (yeah, I know, kinda stupid) and it's not working over 2 windows vista based laptops and an apple desktop.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:30:05 am »

Try turning wep off to see if that is causing problems. Would recomend switching to wpa because its safer. Playing around with the settings of the routers might help, switching the band that the wireless uses (helps with interference) and such.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:15:37 pm »

Well, I fixed it. I reset the router, but that didn't work, then I unplugged it and plugged it again, and WAN was now solid green.  :P

Because I reset it though, we now have a WPA security thingo :P

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:25:31 pm »

oh god that router is so terrible, i had one of those for 2 years and the damn signal sucked bad.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:15 pm »

I'm surprised, it's been really good to us for many years now. It drops out rarely (although I have noticed it becoming more frequent) and this is the first time it's happened.

At my dad's place though, he got a new router, and it drops out A LOT. And you just have to wait for it to go back to being normal :P