Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How did you get in there?  (Read 705 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did you get in there?
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:44:14 pm »

This has been bugging me for a while now. In my animal stockpile I have 3 cages with vermin in them (a rat, a lizard and something else). They are not animal traps, but actual full-cages like the ones you load in cage traps. When I try to build the cages and un-assign the animals, it says something about needing an empty animal traps. I assume that it wants to transfer the creatures there, but I want to know how they got there.  Can vermin actually trigger traps? Do caravans bring vermin in cages? (the rat was already tame, so this seems like the only explanation)

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you get in there?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:49:04 pm »

I think they either come with migrants or are bought in cages from traders. I am annoyed by the same issue every fort haha.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Bikgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 09:51:56 pm »

Caravans bring vermin in cages. As to what they do, I am unfortunately unaware. Usually, I skip the cages that have nothing in them, and purchase the cages clearly labeled "horse cage" or "elephant cage", as you must admit elephants and cows and camels are far more useful than vermin  ;). If you look inside the cages with "v" before you purchase them, you can see if there is a vermin inside it or not. If you need cages, consider buying a cheap material and processing it into a cage if you can.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 10:16:55 pm »

Or you can just dump the vermin out of the cages.
くコ:彡

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:17:26 pm »

Or you can just dump the vermin out of the cages.
Quit being so damn logical.
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 06:56:33 am »

If you have any cats, they'll eat the vermin, it seems.  Otherwise, they just kinda loiter around and waste time.  You can pit them, also, you don't have to simply release them.  If you have access to magma, you can always dump them into wooden cages and then burn them.

EDIT: I forgot to add, elves bring vermin in cages.  They don't appear on the name, but the cage will cost slightly more (like 10 more) and contains a caged vermin.  I thought this would be cool, to have some red squirrels, but they still act like vermin so they're not very fun.  If an elven caravan has died, you've inherited their useless crap.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:58:07 am by Girlinhat »