Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blueprints and Industry  (Read 591 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Blueprints and Industry
« on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:23 am »

I've been inspired, dammit.  I now want to try and overhaul production types, namely machinery and improved things, though understandably I can't mod in -actual- machinery but meh.  The basics are to improve homeland production by several magnitudes.  Instead of simply "produce stuff" there's a few more hoops to jump through, though I want these hoops to be rather accessible.  For instance, you can produce a Breastplate, which is basically a curved piece of metal, or a Plate Mail, which is a series of overlapping metal plates connected by some form of leather or fancy sliding setups.  The one is simple, the other affords higher mobility and a bit more protection, but it's complicated so it must be produced along with a few other materials, like leather for the creases and blueprints for the specifics of how to piece it all together.

I'd also like to make books, like for real books, and book cases made from furniture material, with the bookcase containing ~10 books each.  With quality reading material, the value of a good bookshelf could be rather high.  Different books may do different things.  A book on armorsmithing could be used to train fledgling armorsmiths, but then you'd have a lot of very skilled crafters of all types, so there needs to be some balance there...

Anyways, I'd like to gather ideas.  Workshops, armors, weapons, complicated reactions (like making molten gold contained in a glass vial or creating clockwork pieces for use in bits of machinery or weaponry, such as oversized crossbows), and even things like new nobles.  How about a Grand Mechanist noble, who requires a room with a bed, a coffer, and a steam engine (which would be purely furniture... maybe...)?

I'd also like to point out that it's possible to create fire via a workshop, by generating a product who's ignite point is lower than its default temperature, causing it to instantly ignite and spread fire for whatever purpose.  This workshop can also be built of flammable items, like building a small bonfire from goblinite, and dumping the rest of that goblinite on top of it for quick disposal or, perhaps, steam generation if possible.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: Blueprints and Industry
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:10:14 am »

This belongs in modding.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 10:33:19 am »

great ideas!
though some have been achieved, partially at least. for the book industry, i suggest you look into higher learning and genesis mod, along with few other, which contain generally book making and library as a substitution for exp gaining.
the production types is, somewhat difficult. there are useless item types, IIRC, like toys, mugs, rings, made not really for utility. and i think if implemented, there should be some variants of a specific genre of equipment, eg. leather waistcoat => lethear Praetorian armour => leather lorica segmentata/laminata requiring different amount of types of item and amount of each type. thus early fort could support a good amount of low to medium protection, easy-to-build armours.
i could also think of tools, few kinds of tool like knife, pick, large blade(like hay cutter, papper cutter etc), small hammer(could be used as one hand weapon for smaller races, as in civilisation forge mod), handaxe(same comment as small hammer), a toolset for various single purposed tools(screwdriver, wrench, plier, scissors, they dont show up in game, just as a part of the box) which is definitely required for clockworks and mechanics!

about the bonfire... yes i saw a thread in modding section, someone made a workshop, bonfire, which could actually have a fire.

and this post should be in modding section....

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:35:39 am »

While you're at it, how are dwarves setting up those workshops anyway? A mason's shop needs chisels, a carpenter needs saws, nails and hammers, a kitchen needs pots and pans and a stove, etc. etc. etc.

I dunno, I just think some things are meant to be abstracted because it's too much of a headache otherwise. I sure don't want to get the error message "Urist cancels build Kitchen: No metal forge or hematite, which is needed to forge cookware, or ceramic for serving food, or wood to make kitchen utensils, or running water, etc."
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:08:56 am »

While you're at it, how are dwarves setting up those workshops anyway? A mason's shop needs chisels, a carpenter needs saws, nails and hammers, a kitchen needs pots and pans and a stove, etc. etc. etc.

I dunno, I just think some things are meant to be abstracted because it's too much of a headache otherwise. I sure don't want to get the error message "Urist cancels build Kitchen: No metal forge or hematite, which is needed to forge cookware, or ceramic for serving food, or wood to make kitchen utensils, or running water, etc."

a provisional workshop that only provides basic output, including some of the components, most simple furniture types will do.