Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Logic Breaking floating river.  (Read 856 times)

obliza

• Bay Watcher
  • Buy me dinner first?
    • View Profile
Logic Breaking floating river.
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:05:46 am »

I really don't understand...

tinyurl.com/4eeucjb ZLvL 102
tinyurl.com/4h6ktxs ZLvL 101
tinyurl.com/4wjo9sk ZLvL 100

Can anyone explain?

Or have ideas on how I can abuse this to kill elves?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:11:35 am by obliza »

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Re: Logic Breaking floating river.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:21:00 am »

River bug, happens, idk why.

Trade depot and excessive use of floodgates and screwpumps.

dig hole near river put trade depot at bottom, make floodgated tunnels to drain into even lower cistern screwpump stack to pour back into river floodgate a spot and breach river, and bingo, over moat + elf death trap.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:22:03 am »

If you don't mind the FPS death while the world is filling, dig a hole in a few sides and let your embark flood. Just make sure to make a place where the water cannot enter your fortress/seal up entrances.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 04:08:34 pm »

this is DF what "logic" do you claim to expect here?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »

You must have discovered the lost civilization of Dwarf Rome! Those are suspended aqueducts. New megaproject. Make a huge city out of marble, with plenty of columns and statues and stuff, also made out of marble. For bonus points, equip all of your dwarves in togas and all of your military in full bronze equipment.

edit: is there some way to mod the philosopher back in?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 06:56:09 pm by Lagslayer »

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 06:54:50 pm »

Seems to me the ground eroded without the tiles bordering the river (yes, the ones most likely to erode) going away.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 07:32:18 pm »

MijRai is right.

This is an older bug, and happens occasionally, and is caused by rampant erosion or the like.

Rivers and brooks are placed by creating those water tiles and the "roof" of a brook, and making the sides and bottom of the waterway, as well.  This is painted onto the landscape in a way that "overwrites" the natural landscape, and hence, doesn't check what it is going through.  If the land below it eroded and created a valley, then the river will appear to "bridge" the gaps between the valley like an aquaduct.  Depending on where along this you embark, you might see a part where it is aboveground.

Incidentally, sometimes rivers cut straight through cliffsides or mountains, as well.  These are some of the only places with sheer drops on the surface.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare