Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: do artificial bridges allow invaders to cross  (Read 1485 times)

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
do artificial bridges allow invaders to cross
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:49:50 am »

ok so i have 2 continents on my world map. if i were to connect the 2 continents with a lot of flooring as a bridge would invaders be able to cross it to attack my fort? its getting boring with the good land on one side and the gobs on the other.
LOSING IS FUN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: do artificial bridges allow invaders to cross
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:56:18 am »

You mean a bridge on a global scale?  I know that invaders will cross a drawbridge, but I don't think they'll use a multi-embark type of mega-bridge, though that would be awesome if they did.  The game does allow bridges, if a civilization is suitably awesome they'll build world-grade bridges, roads, and tunnels, but I think once a world leaves gen, then it's set.  No wildlife reproduces, no other civs reproduce (so it's theoretically possible to kill invaders and empty out an enemy civ) and embark site changes don't effect the global scale.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 02:01:50 am »

its on only 1 embark. the ocean is 14 embark tiles wide where im building my bridge.
LOSING IS FUN!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 02:04:41 am »

You don't actually need a bridge. For purposes of world-map trade and invader access, all that's actually needed is for a settlement to cross the impassible water or mountains. So, just make your 2x14 embark, immediately abandon, and you're golden. Peoples from both continents will be able to get to any additional fort you made.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 02:06:32 am »

k thanks
LOSING IS FUN!

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 05:55:57 am »

You don't actually need a bridge. For purposes of world-map trade and invader access, all that's actually needed is for a settlement to cross the impassible water or mountains. So, just make your 2x14 embark, immediately abandon, and you're golden. Peoples from both continents will be able to get to any additional fort you made.

That's the Elf way to do it, sure.

The Dwarven way is to actually construct a bridge, preferably from cast obsidian, with a gigantic statue at either end.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:02:25 am »

added bonus of building or digging a physical connection is that adventurers can use the passage to get to the other side without having swimming skill.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 10:42:00 am »

That's the Elf way to do it, sure.

The Dwarven way is to actually construct a bridge, preferably from cast obsidian, with a gigantic statue at either end.
No, the dwarfy way to do it is build an underwater bridge from solid gold adamantine. That's the human way to do it.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 11:15:11 am »

The dorfy way to do it is to build two rows of powered pumps that part the sea to create a land bridge in the middle.  I suspect it would also allow the airdrowning of sea creatures. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 12:53:26 pm »

The dorfy way to do it is to build two rows of powered pumps that part the sea to create a land bridge in the middle.  I suspect it would also allow the airdrowning of sea creatures.
Oh boy, the merperson farm subject all over again.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 01:10:05 pm »

Oh my gods. A continental bridge made of the bones of merpeople. Or any suitably impressive creature, really.
くコ:彡

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 01:59:22 pm »

Or combine that. Rows and rows of pumps that make a waterless chasm in the middle of the sea, 20 z-levels deep. A few levels down, there's a merperson bone bridge, fully smoothed and engraved, with statues of dwarves lining it. Leave a single guard with a lever hooked up to a gear assembly between whatever powers the pumps and the pump rows proper and give him orders to pull it every second time an invading army approaches.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 03:05:53 pm »

Depending on the pump setup, you'd end up with just a wall.  One tile of the pump is waterproof, so if you built enough pumps, you'd end up with a very expensive and convoluted wall.  On the other hand, if done correctly, the moses effect on an entire ocean would be something to brag about.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 03:33:58 pm »

Wait wut? You can deplete enemy civs by slaughtering them?  There must be literally thousands of goblins then.  Humans I can believe, after the 3rd siege where the general died in my last fort they started sending little skeleton crews instead of proper armies against me.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 03:38:23 pm »

Well, yes.  Population is just a placeholder number.  There's no thousands of creatures out there, and if you go in adventure mode there's only the same bits of civilization.  But in the files, population is saved as a very high number, up in the tens or hundreds of thousands.  This determines when a civilization expands to new sites and other little things.  At any given time there's only a few hundred creatures on screen, if you count dwarves, creatures, and sieges all at once, but every death takes a tick off the total number.  That's why old forts can actually run out of wildlife, because world gen only produces so many creatures.