Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Neuschwanstein with Magma!  (Read 2112 times)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Neuschwanstein with Magma!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 06:41:17 pm »

Lang lebe der Schloss Neuschwanstein! Ich denke, dass mein Deutsch ist richtig ist.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I forgot that the ',dass' is a verb scarer. I'm only doing high school german so permit me a few errors. Thanks for the correction.

Regarding festung: a fortress was more for the military than a schloss  which is more of a manor/castle.
Berg = fortifed cities.
Festung = large military fortresses
Schloss = manor hourse/castle

You must post screenshots.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 07:02:59 pm »

The above is pretty much correct, except that the term is Burg and not Berg. Berg means mountain.
Although I think the two might be related Etymologically.
And like BigD said, Burg is usually used to refer to anything english people would call castle, except Neuschwanstein, which is entitled Schloss Neuschwanstein.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 07:12:44 pm »

i am 12 and what is Neuschwanstein?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Neuschwanstein

Where did you find that? And do you appreciate the irony of the previous question?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 07:16:37 pm »

The above is pretty much correct, except that the term is Burg and not Berg. Berg means mountain.
Although I think the two might be related Etymologically.
And like BigD said, Burg is usually used to refer to anything english people would call castle, except Neuschwanstein, which is entitled Schloss Neuschwanstein.

Yeah, I typoed that. Thanks for the correction.
It wouldnt surprise me if Burg and Berg share the same root.

Yamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 08:56:46 pm »

Burg means fortress. ie Hamberg was origionally a fortress atop a hill besides a river. Also, wasnt Neuschwanstein built by the mad King Ludwig II of Bavaria who sunk the entire fortune of his kingdom into this insanely expensive but very beautiful project? Fitting for Dwarf Fortress. Lang lebe der Schloss Neuschwanstein! Ich denke, dass mein Deutsch ist richtig.

Technically, Burg means fortified hilltop and town. Emphasis on the town bit, hence the term "Burgermeister" for Mayor. Festung is Fortress, Schloss is Castle, Berg is mountain. It also changes a little according to which Provincial Dialect you are using. The Bavarian dialect is completely ridiculous, I can't speak it. I can however speak Hochdeutsch and Sächsisch.

Also, Neuschwanstein was built by King Ludwig II, who was actually a pretty good king. His people loved him. The Nobility not so much. Now...

Update: I've begun to lay the foundation of the castle, which will be two stories tall and made of solid Diorite blocks. I need the castle raised in order to properly reconstruct the ramp leading up to the Gatehouse, which will hold the military barrack, a small food stockpile and the offices. Currently, the dwarves are all living in one of the underground quarries and block factories and I have as many churning out blocks as possible. Screen-shots forthcoming tomorrow or so when I can resume the construction.

I've begun to consider the defence of the construction site a little. I have 3 carpenters currently and am thinking that I will completely wall of and enclose the dwarves and the castle in a wooden palisade until it is ready and defensible. Traders be damned, I can make whatever I require anyhow. The Dwarves will be roughing it for a couple years. But it should be all right with a little attention.  It should also be noted that Ludwig had a smaller castle overlooking Schwangau, the township near Neuschwanstein called Hochschwangau. I may build this as well further down the map as a smaller military only fortress, but only once Neuschwanstein is complete.

Any suggestions are completely welcome and I would love your advice and thoughts on the project. This is my first megaproject after all.

EDIT: Here are some screens: http://imgur.com/a/S1ZKm
They show the beginnings of the cistern wherein I funnel lake water into a common pit, the quarry barrack and the first shots of the foundation being laid.

When I finish the castle, or maybe after, I will upload the save and let anybody who wants dick around with it. The biome is mirthful, cold temperate conifer forest. There are unicorns.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:35:44 pm by Yamez »
...A True Dwarf does not use silly little "Site Finders", he merely closes one eye and points his finger at a map, then walks there no matter what. If the entire site is on fire, he will dig a hole in the ground; If there is a goblin fortress in the way, he will dig a hole in the ground; If the ground is under 10 layers of water, HE WILL DIG A HOLE IN THE GROUND.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 09:59:39 pm »

Looks good

Yamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 04:55:57 am »

Neuschwanstein 1.0 was taken out by a goblin ambush. Time to begin 2.0. Improvements include such important things as defenses and the like.

Screens! http://imgur.com/a/Va2YB
The top is being walled in as we speak, a small farm has been started and a barrack is assembled. Downstairs we have a beautiful storage room and quarry.

Edit: Well, the foundation is almost complete, it has taken much longer than anticipated. However, it should be done within 30 minutes now. The gatehouse will go up much more quickly after that. Screens forthcoming....some 45 minutes pass...
AND! The foundation for the Gatehouse and Gatehouse courtyard is now complete! Weighing at 2 stories and 1,102 phyllite stones, this is a megaproject in it's own right!

http://imgur.com/a/JjbDf
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:31:36 am by Yamez »
...A True Dwarf does not use silly little "Site Finders", he merely closes one eye and points his finger at a map, then walks there no matter what. If the entire site is on fire, he will dig a hole in the ground; If there is a goblin fortress in the way, he will dig a hole in the ground; If the ground is under 10 layers of water, HE WILL DIG A HOLE IN THE GROUND.

Yamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 04:55:55 pm »

DF crashed and erased a lot of my work. I'm busy getting back to where I was previously.
Pages: 1 [2]