Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: war animal questions  (Read 675 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
war animal questions
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:49:45 am »

1. Is the effectiveness of war animals relative to the size of the animal?

Please rate these animals by how good they are. 1. being the best
list: Polar bear, grizzly bear, lion, tiger, elephant, gorilla

2. What's your favourite war animal?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: war animal questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 06:07:49 am »

1. Yes, the attacks the animal has available also play into this, tho.
elephants, bears, wildcats, (gorillas i never tried).
2. The giant desert scorpion (mind it's not trainable without modding). Fast working poison sting and pincers that can snatch off limbs.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:38:21 pm »

Werewolves are also good, and make great nobility, but tigermen are better (faster learners and available without modding--if you get elves to settle in a jungle by chance or design)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 03:50:32 pm »

I've heard interesting things about tigermen, particularly that they function almost as a part of society, able to learn skills and build relationships, and can ever be elected to mayor!  They also eat and drink, but don't drink booze or from wells.

Elephants are always good.  Sheer size matters a lot, bears aren't bad either because they can bite through chain mail.  They make short work of leather-clad goblins.  Gorillas, I dunno, except that I sent a few wrestlers to deal with some bonobos at my shrubland embark, and a few wrestlers can take down one of these without injury.  So, I'm guessing "not very dangerous".

As with all factors, it depends on the real-world physics.  All materials have a toughness and strength, and all animals have a size.  A larger animal can throw a lot more weight behind its attack and do a lot more damage.  A dog will attack with mediocre power, but a bear will perform the same attack with a lot more size.  A groundhog might try and tackle a dwarf, but an elephant will perform the same action and break bones.  Size matters a whole lot with animals in combat.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:14:34 pm »

I've had one gorilla before. As far as I could tell it was pretty good. It was chained up out front and fought a titan alone, eventually dying but severely wounding the titan (winged quadruped made out of salt?). Afterwards a tiger finished it off in just a few hits gaining a name. My dwarfs never even had to see it. So thats all I know about gorillas.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 06:41:50 pm »

Anything that can take on a non-gas megabeast can't be that bad...

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:36:06 pm »

My favorites are of course war elephants.

They breed like crazy, but a calf reaching maturity takes fer-EV-er  ::) Fortunately, they tend not to die much.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 07:40:21 pm »

My favorite war animal are my War Cows/Bulls... for the sole fact I modded them to be trainable so I COULD call them battle cattle.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 08:26:40 pm »

My favourites are the grizzly bears. More common than the elephants, easier to breed. Of course they are not as strong, but hey, nothing is perfect.