Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having so much 'fun'...  (Read 797 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Having so much 'fun'...
« on: January 29, 2011, 06:36:40 pm »

Haven't played DF in a while.

Started a nice fort. And tons of bad things happened, its actually quite fun indeed.

First I discover that my water source freezes. Had to stay without farms for two seasons. Had to butcher the animals. No deaths so far.

Then the booze ran out, as did the barrels. While the water source was frozen. 15 dorfs died including the mayor. New mayor elected.

Realising I needed some water underground, I dug a reservoir. One of the dorfs was deconstructing something on top of the reservoir and caused a cave in. Punched a hole 5 stories through my fort, causing the death of 3 dorfs (including a child) and massive flooding. 3 other dorfs die of infection after being injured.

I decide to toss some doors away because we have nice glass ones now. Apparently two of them were masterworks. The guy who made them (who was also my best smith) goes berzerk and has to be put down by caravan guards.

Created a pump stack, didn't work out well, the mayor (now a duke and an expert strand extractor) goes to remove it. It collapses on his head, killing him, a fisherdorf and a baby.

Just now a blind cave ogre climbed into my 'mining area'. Usually its empty of dorfs , but was constructing stuff so there were 12 dwarves collecting rocks at the time. Kills one miner, kills my chief medical dwarf, my expert glassblower and one of the meat shields. Attacks a miner who literally puts his pick through this guy's skull - putting him unconcious. Till I discover how to set an impromptu military up to finish the Ogre off, he regains conciousness, kills another dorf, until the miner from before stabs him into little tiny bits.

I had forgotten how awesome this game is.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Having so much 'fun'...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:44:25 pm »

Made me laugh, for sure. ;)

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:22:08 pm »

I don't see anything out of the ordinary here, but where's the magma?

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:30:58 pm »

I see a lot out of the ordinary here. Where's the magma?

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:41:24 pm »

Isn't that just what makes it the best?

I remember a while back in early 2010 version I wanted to check out the caverns.  I'd heard how dangerous they could be so I built a foodgate system where I had two sets of floodgates that created a safe room between the tunnels and my fort which could be flooded with water on command.  I prepared my rag tag military/explorers and opened the gates and started down, immediately set upon by three blind cave ogres as well as some other random stuff from down there (crundles, elk birds or something, and cave rats).  I slammed the gates shut but, of course, the ogres busted them all down and entered my base, it was chaos but ultimately we were able to kill them taking great losses, most notably my accountant (whom I always name after my brother) had both his arms torn off (one at the elbow, one at the shoulder) and amazingly enough, over time, survived! He was useless as a dwarf but he did get better and spent most of his time wandering around my great hall..

So what makes this such a grand experience is that I decided to explore the caverns again (I had walled them off after driving off the ogres), I open them up and again, ogres, I attempt to take them down again until I notice that there is water in my base, one had gotten up top and destroyed the floodgate blocking off a river (which diverted it down to my water trap) and my fort was flooding from the top down, there was no way out, my miners were dead and I had no idea where their equipment was, it was the end of days..

As more and more creatures poured out of the depths my armless accountant found off a giant cave rat by biting him into submission (the rat ran off, wasn't killed).  I was able to seal off the flooded sections as well as the areas with creatures in them but it was all over, I had no more ability to dig, there were monsters in my base and there was no way out through existing channels, it was quite a ride however.

That is one of the many, but perhaps the primary, reasons I love this game.

-MB

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 02:02:16 am »

DF: Making Masochism Fun Again.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:17:15 am »

Well had a minor magma accident too.

Apparently liquids pass through fortifications. Who knew eh? The guy standing underneath them when I poured down the magma did.
-

I just realised I have a peasant with an arm ripped off from a fight with an ogre. He's not even in the hospital and is walking around working. He is truly a hero amongst our people.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks