Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: world gen history  (Read 405 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
world gen history
« on: January 29, 2011, 05:06:41 am »

So when you gen a world, do you allow the history to run all 1050(?) years? do you set it to be longer? Do you stop it earlier? What's the difference?

I've been messing around with world gen settings recently, but I'm a little curious about this aspect, as the wiki doesn't have much to say about it.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: world gen history
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:52:26 am »

All it does is add events to your area, and increases the chance of civs being killed off.  I've heard that it can make engraving lag your game (as the game is trying to decide what event to be engraved, and it has more options), but I once genned a world for 4000 years and didn't notice any particular difference in engraving time.  Without culling unimportant historical figures, I can gen a world to about year 2500 before the game freezes, and with culling I think I can do it indefinitely. 

I usually don't have that much history though, 550 or so.  It's effectively just numbers - if you want all your dwarves to have a birthdate (not just "the first of his kind, and he is xx years old), gen a hundred or more years, but beyond that it just means you are making a fortress 4000 years after written history started rather than 100.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: world gen history
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:34:50 pm »

I think it can affect certain creatures. Example dragons take a thousand years to grow to full adult, and when world gen starts most of them are only a few hundred years old or so I've been told. So I always go the full 1050.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz