Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swimmer's Challenge!  (Read 577 times)

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swimmer's Challenge!
« on: January 29, 2011, 06:23:07 am »

I thought up this interesting game for victims prisoners of war to try out.

I'm not sure how It'll work , so I'm posing the question here.

I dig a 1x1 tile tube over various Z levels. The square at the top has an additional space to get out from (with a slope).

The victim contestant is placed in a cage at the bottom. The tube is filled with water to the top.

At the sound of the buzzer, the cage is opened. If the victim player reaches the top before he drowns, he wins the honour of being placed in the hall of caged heroes.

If the victim contestant doesn't reach the top in time, he dies.

So, two questions:

1. Will they play along? Will they instinctivly try to path their way to the top? or will they just swim in circles till they drown?
2. How deep do you think the tube should be?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swimmer's Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:47:02 am »

I'm guessing this is supposed to be sort of like that fear factor challenge where they try to find the hole in the ice underwater?

If so, I'd say make it 5-z levels, and about 20 squares side to side.  If that isn't killing enough of them or all of them are dying, just make sure you keep it expandable.

As for if they will play along, I think they will path to the way out of water, but I may be wrong.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:52:42 am »

they path out of the water slowly, at least going by experience and arena tests.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:12:45 pm »

When I did this, the goblins would be able to walk about ~10 steps before drowning.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 12:28:49 pm »

I've had goblins path up a drowning room path, only to drown before escape. Rhesus macaque on the other hand, have made it all the way out only to be washed away in the river and off a cliff. Either way worked for me. The goblins were kinda pathetic, but the rhesus got to the point they weren't drowning anymore.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 02:57:29 pm »

I think they have some high swimming learning skills, or at least faster/more coordinated movement in general. though that's probably not true.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.