Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven Watchmen  (Read 3589 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Dwarven Watchmen
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 10:55:40 pm »

So what you've got in mind is for military dwarves given orders to patrol a route or defend a burrow should get a modest bonus to their Observation roll for being specifically ordered to watch for intruders? That's not a bad idea at all, actually.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 11:12:21 pm »

What, exactly, is the downside to have "look out for goblins" enabled, then?  As in, why would a player ever want to turn it off?  Otherwise, there's no reason for it to ever be off, and it might as well be a passive.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 07:43:14 am »

What, exactly, is the downside to have "look out for goblins" enabled, then?  As in, why would a player ever want to turn it off?  Otherwise, there's no reason for it to ever be off, and it might as well be a passive.

Get bored, fall asleep*. Guard details rotate because people can't stay alert for extended periods of time, and because guarding is possibly the most boring thing in the world.

This idea of telling people that they are on watch, rather than simply on duty (ready to be ordered out to fight) does have merit.

*at a faster rate.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 08:28:44 am »

Question related to this.

Can units spot ambushers through glass or Fortifications?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 07:31:56 pm »

Get bored, fall asleep*. Guard details rotate because people can't stay alert for extended periods of time, and because guarding is possibly the most boring thing in the world.

This idea of telling people that they are on watch, rather than simply on duty (ready to be ordered out to fight) does have merit.

*at a faster rate.

Yeah, I always thought that it'd be taxing, kinda in the way that units ordered to hold position or patrol get pissed if they're doing it for too long. It wouldn't be like headlights where you just flick them on and go about your day. You'd be stationed somewhere and you'd view it much like other military orders: Doing it for too long causes unhappy thoughts. I also kinda thing that, unlike the current "move" order, the purpose isn't to provide a frontline for defenses: I don't see the watchman engaging a bunch of goblins. It would be cool if the watchmen could set an alert level when they spot goblins then run away, however.

-D.B.
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 07:37:09 pm »

Question related to this.

Can units spot ambushers through glass or Fortifications?

I don't know exactly about Fortification, but I believe they can. Glass walls they can't see through, but windows they definitely can (in fact, my favorite detection system is a cat in a locked 1x1 room that has a window onto a 1 wide corridor into my base). It's, so far, the best detection method I've found (cats are pretty good at spotting intruders). Keep in mind though, windows and fortifications won't stop fluids or missiles, so they're only really protected from melee units (ok, if the fortifications are far enough away they're good against missiles, but then you wouldn't be able to detect anything either).

-D.B.
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »

I thought windows would stop fluids...  Not that I've ever tried that, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2011, 02:14:40 pm »

They may now, but I don't think they used to. Or maybe it's only missiles that they don't stop. I do seem to remember some enterprising designer had decided that he wanted his nobles to live in fear of the water stored outside their bedroom in a "change of regime" system they'd built only to discover that the window didn't hold back water, and consequently his fortress ended up looking like Australia does at the moment. But it could have been a bug that was fixed or I could be remembering it wrong.

-D.B.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:51 pm »

There might be a way to address this problem through modding in custom positions. I notice that the elven ranger captain position contains tokens such as [RESPONSIBILITY:PATROL_TERRITORY] and [RESPONSIBILITY:ATTACK_ENEMIES]. I'm not 100% on the exact in-game effects of these tokens, but they certainly sound like they might be relevant.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2011, 10:56:32 pm »

You guys keep missing the most crucial question of all: Who watches the watchmen?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2011, 11:02:26 pm »

Bohandas: Those are position tokens only found on human warriors and elven rangers.  There is no description of their effects on the wiki, and they may be completely untested(?).

It's possible that such tokens sets those units to perform worldgen era sweeps of the countryside, not anything that would have an effect on fortress mode.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 01:16:07 am »

They may now, but I don't think they used to. Or maybe it's only missiles that they don't stop. I do seem to remember some enterprising designer had decided that he wanted his nobles to live in fear of the water stored outside their bedroom in a "change of regime" system they'd built only to discover that the window didn't hold back water, and consequently his fortress ended up looking like Australia does at the moment. But it could have been a bug that was fixed or I could be remembering it wrong.

-D.B.

Good God, you mean his Fortress ended up being full of Australians? How horrid...

More to the point, back in 40d, the Fortress and the Royal Guard were autonomous, and I liked that. They seemed to have some kind of guarding, patrolling wander they'd do from time to time, and they'd break up the monotony of their day by occasionally bludgeoning a citizen if the Hammerer was otherwise indisposed. I shouldn't need to use the militia to guard my fortress if I have a group who's very job description is already "Guard".

On a generalized 40d-31 bitch, I hate that they keep their civlian identities when their off-duty. If I needed you to still identify as a potash maker, I wouldn't have drafted you into a medical research squad, would I? Yes, I pine for the simplicity of 40d military dynamics. At least until the interface problems are solved. And there is more... permanentness in the draft.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."
Pages: 1 2 [3]