Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why can't I sign up for Steam?  (Read 6435 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why can't I sign up for Steam?
« on: January 29, 2011, 06:23:16 pm »

I put in the correct info, but it says it failed and to try again later.

What?

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I sign up for Steam?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:30:16 pm »

Heh. So are you trying to sign in to a new account, or are you trying to log in to an existing account? If you're setting up a new account and trying to log in, remember that the SteamID is different from your 'handle', or steam name, or whatever they call it these days. The steam name is what other people know you as, and the steamID is the thing you use to log in. Most people keep their steamID to themselves for that reason.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:31:36 pm »

Heh. So are you trying to sign in to a new account, or are you trying to log in to an existing account? If you're setting up a new account and trying to log in, remember that the SteamID is different from your 'handle', or steam name, or whatever they call it these days. The steam name is what other people know you as, and the steamID is the thing you use to log in. Most people keep their steamID to themselves for that reason.

I'm making and a new account. I am confuse.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:33:49 pm »

Yeah it's kind of confusing, I made my account many years ago so I don't quite remember what the sign up process is like. Give me a few seconds to bring it up on my end and I'll edit this post.

Hmm.. alright so I buggered that up a bit. SteamID is actually a number and is unrelated to signing in (I think) so ignore that. The "Steam Username" is what you use to log in. Whatever you chose during the sign up process. From there I guess you can edit your profile with a different name, but that's only after you've signed in, and it'll keep your original Steam Username for logging in regardless.

And it's saying that you have the wrong information?
edit- derp you said that it's telling you to try again later. Okay, well, just keep trying, I think that happens sometimes. Steam is currently up though so I'm not sure what that's about? It might have something to do with the authentication servers being under heavy load. Or it might be a firewall problem.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:41:24 pm by debvon »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 06:45:03 pm »

In all seriousness, try a bit later or ask for it to recover your password, if your information is truly wrong.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »

He never said his information was wrong, Soulwynd.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 08:13:04 pm »

So? It could be.