Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?  (Read 4218 times)

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do people put up with making individual bedrooms!?
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »

I've done pretty much every level of bedroom luxury, from not even bothering to make any beds to actually building every single dwarf a two storey house with dining room downstairs and bedroom upstairs, made of their two favourite materials. One guy had a house of saltpeter and bismuth because that's what he liked, I had to order all of the materials from the caravan. Another one actually liked raw adamantine and adamantine, she got the most ridiculously pimped house EVER.

I usually just go for a middle ground though. They usually get 3x3 bedrooms with a bed, cabinet and door, all gem-encrusted. I'm talking about the crap gems, the 10 urist ones that you just get tons of, so it doesn't add much to room value, it's just fun for me to occasionally see cool stuff on the decorations. Lately I've been putting a table and chair in the bedrooms too to see if it cuts down on socializing - I'm always afraid of tantrum spirals when they end up with fifteen different friends. I like my dwarves to be ecstatic loners, hehe.

Generally bedrooms just go wherever I can fit them, I'm one of the "organic fort design" people, mainly because I'm not very good at thinking ahead.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2011, 03:53:51 pm »

People "put up with it" because it's an enjoyable part of the game.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2011, 05:12:43 pm »

No. No, it is not.

In most of my forts, I just dig out one long room, three tiles wide, with rows of beds in it.

I just generated a fort by name of "Crytown", though, so I think I'll go for "1x1 dormitories" instead.

You want a waterfall? Well, the fort's right next to a river. Pull that lever, if you want. There's ya waterfall.

Welcome to fucking Crytown, bitch.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2011, 05:40:08 pm »

I usually give my starting 7 nice 7x7 rooms, then give each dwarf after that the 1x1 rooms mentioned before. My royalty usually gets their own sections of the fortress, and the bookkeeper usually has a special room dug out by the Trade Depot. This fort has a volcano, so i'm putting my mayor's room by it when the time comes.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2011, 06:24:36 pm »

I just realized the epic potential of having a large, gaping hole with rooms all around it: gladiator pits. I can just dump some...well, anything in to the holes to fight to the death and my dwarves can watch from the comfort of their own rooms.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2011, 06:33:05 pm »

I usually just do this as soon as I start.
The giant gaps in the middle sections are to be dug out and glassed to make zoos and aquariums and stuff.
That looks dead sexy!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2011, 07:15:13 pm »

Yeah, I'm doing that.

Normally, I set the population cap to zero, get my farming industry going, dig (and furnish) bedrooms for 250 dwarves, then steadily increase the pop cap until I have about 200, fleshing out industries as migrants come.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:17:41 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »

My bedroom layout is a fairly dull but practical grid of four 3x3 rooms with two tile-wide corridors, and staircases at each junction, with a bed, cabinet and coffer in each room. I smooth the walls but refrain from engraving them so that nobody's paying ridiculous extra rent for the sake of a nice picture.
My creativity is saved for when I hit a vein of something, after what I've already designated is dug out and re-walled. I'll have my miners follow them to the end, along with any new ones I hit in the process, and then smooth and engrave them along their whole length. If I have a couple of veins forking of and then rejoining, I'll hollow out the space in between. Then the engravers are turned loose on the place for a bit. One of these will become a communal cemetery, with private tombs made from mined-out pockets of gems. The rest will be turned into sculpture gardens, or if they're only small quarters for my nobles. And since I also can't stand to leave big gaps between rooms, I'll cram furniture stockpiles and alcoves for statues and so forth anywhere I can.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2011, 07:35:51 pm »

I always just use this design, expanded until I run out of room.  Sprawling, cramped, hive-like totalitarian-style tenements fore everybody!  Nobles get old veins with some walls slapped up to make separate rooms.  Then I build a legendary dining room a floor below/above, food storage a level further from that, and it's all good!
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2011, 07:49:17 pm »

I always just use this design, expanded until I run out of room.  Sprawling, cramped, hive-like totalitarian-style tenements fore everybody!  Nobles get old veins with some walls slapped up to make separate rooms.  Then I build a legendary dining room a floor below/above, food storage a level further from that, and it's all good!
The problem, with that design, is that it dosn;t give you much to do after year 2.
You see I enjoy making my dwarves as happy as possible. Part of that is awesome bedrooms, and that means atleast 3*3 rooms to put stuff in. So with tiny rooms like that, you just run out of space.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2011, 02:21:30 am »

I use this one:

Eight levels can hold 256 dwarves, more than you'll ever have, with plenty of free pairs of rooms to replace with hallways to important fort areas.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]