Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question about embarking on an island  (Read 809 times)

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick question about embarking on an island
« on: January 29, 2011, 04:34:18 am »

If I embark on an island, and part of my embark area on the island (the land part) connects to the edge of the screen, will I get caravans?

I know it's completely illogical that I would, unless it was some sort of magical flying/swimming caravan, but this is Dwarf Fortress so I figured I'd ask.

So I have an island

~~~~~~~~~
~....XXXXX..~
~....XXXXX..~
~....XXXXX..~
~~~~~~~~~

where . is land, ~ is water and X is embark. There's absolutely no logical way the caravan could reach my island embark. However, my embark doesn't cover the whole island. Will caravans teleport to the island?

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question about embarking on an island
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 04:38:15 am »

That's an interesting question. I'm currently playing on an island but my embark zone is far from the edge (the island in question is much bigger than the one you're describing). I get dwarven caravans but no others. If your fort is completely surrounded by water...I don't think it's possible. If there's land on the edge of your map I think they can. Not 100% sure though.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 04:40:25 am »

I like to think the dwarves build megaconstructions just off the edge of my screen which they use to reach my trade depot.

Which would be awesome.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 04:48:36 am »

i know there is no sieges, so maybe no caravans?
LOSING IS FUN!

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:51:43 am »

I figured massive catapults. Only dwarves will do something like that which is why humans, goblins, and elves can't get to you (humans and elves should be able to build boats).

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 04:55:59 am »

If you check your civ screen at embark, it will tell you what races can get to you (it won't say kobolds, but if goblins can it's a safe assumption kobolds can too). 

You won't get anything but dwarven caravans on an island.  The plus side (if you consider it so) is you won't get kobolds or goblins either.