Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Amnesia: The Dark Descent  (Read 7624 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 06:00:42 am »

Didn't...JoshuaFH write a game idea with this exact same atmosphere? Ah yes; different characters, light is less important, but the same concept. I'm going to assume it's been around for a very long time.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 06:42:03 am »

Amnesia came out around August, Amiright?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 09:14:34 am »

I think Amnesia is mad at me for calling the Lovecraftian elements of the story trite in the Sad Thread.  It's gone from okay but kind of boring to way scarier than any of the Penumbra games, and almost more than I can handle. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shoes...

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 09:05:43 am »

Study area spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I've determined that Daniel wears huge glasses, darkness is really dense mist that causes them to fog up immediately upon entering and he's a habitual ice cube chewer based on the noise he makes when sitting in a corner.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2011, 08:04:49 am »

My playstyle will probably make me miss a lot of content.
As soon as I start hearing scary noises, I dart to the next cabinet.

Spoiler: Archives (click to show/hide)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2011, 02:11:34 pm »

Got this game a few days ago (payed the full $20 because I thought the demo was awesome)

Played it exclusively after midnight, beat it in two days

7 hour playtime

GOD THAT WAS AN AMAZING GAME

It was scary and epic and awesome.

Playing through again in commentary mode

(Protip: commentary mode is just as dangerous and scary as real mode; they don't take it easy on you just because you're listening to commentary)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:15:16 pm by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2011, 05:38:42 pm »

Ugh, I give up. The combination of the protagonist's.... chittering and the nauseating wobblecam the moment I move out of the large mission hub rooms punctuated by BRILLIANT WHITE FLASHES along with some questionable mechanics like invincible enemies spawning after touching arbitrary plot items making exploration an exercise in frustration generate an intense headache after 10-15 minutes of playing.

I go up to Storage, where touching the dildo in pretty much the first room made the Zombie Patrol appear immediately and I decided to call it a day.

How much of the game did I miss and are there any mods that give Daniel a neck brace, a ballgag and a warning prompt on stuff that summons a grotesque nanny effectively telling you to GTFO and play with your new plot trinket in the designated "stick stuff to wall" playpen?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 07:20:04 pm »

No. But the enemies are very short sighted, so that's always nice.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bas1lyk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2011, 08:48:41 pm »

In particular, I liked how nearly every room seemed to have drawers full of identical white shirts, but were strangely absent of lower body clothing of any kind. No trousers, no pantaloons, no jodhpurs. Nada.

Now, either Daniel had already soiled them all, or this is surely a joke on the developers behalf...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:38 pm »

Maybe everyone's running around topless?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2011, 10:11:08 pm »

Ugh, I give up. The combination of the protagonist's.... chittering and the nauseating wobblecam the moment I move out of the large mission hub rooms punctuated by BRILLIANT WHITE FLASHES along with some questionable mechanics like invincible enemies spawning after touching arbitrary plot items making exploration an exercise in frustration generate an intense headache after 10-15 minutes of playing.

I go up to Storage, where touching the dildo in pretty much the first room made the Zombie Patrol appear immediately and I decided to call it a day.

How much of the game did I miss and are there any mods that give Daniel a neck brace, a ballgag and a warning prompt on stuff that summons a grotesque nanny effectively telling you to GTFO and play with your new plot trinket in the designated "stick stuff to wall" playpen?

't ain't everyone's cuppa tea

Most of your other complaints can be considered features, if you like that sort of thing.
Wobbly camera and chittering? Punishment for running around in the dark.
Invincible enemies? Of course they're invincible, I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm not playing Doom 3 here.

I will give you the super-bright whiteness that happens during a flashback, though. Those hurt my eyes too.

For the most part, it kind of sounds like this just isn't the kind of game you would enjoy.

But I can also say that as the game progresses, the things you're complaining about get better.

The arbitrary enemy spawns had a greater purpose: they put you on edge later on in the game when you're grabbing items and nothing is happening. I found that to be way scarier, because I'm expecting a predictable spawn and all I hear is the castle settling and strange noises in the distance... But, yeah, enemies don't always spawn on an item, don't worry.

Also, I dunno if it's just me or what, but I find that Daniel handles the darkness much better late in the game. It seems to take a lot longer for darkness to drain your sanity the further you get in the game.

Give up if you wish, but it really does get better, and it has a pretty fascinating story.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2011, 11:42:20 am »

Not exactly, but the Choir is full of dim light, so you can wander around without a lantern lit.
It's the same with the water part. Lantern isn't necessary.

Plus, I like how they give you a good, well lit puzzle part every now and then, so that you can get some of your own personal sanity back.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]