Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Verge of Olympus, book I; Like Clockwork  (Read 987 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Verge of Olympus, book I; Like Clockwork
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:36:37 pm »

I have trodden on giants.

In my footsteps, I leave the purest gold.

In my breast, gears turn like clockwork.

I am Cronus, and I would be King.

I stand at worlds end, on the western edge of Gaia. Above me the heavens buckle and shift, Atlas' doing. He was ever the restless type. He never could sit still. The mortals named the syndrome ADHD. I suppose even a monkey would write a story given enough time, as the saying goes.

But before I can deal with Atlas. There is something I must do. Three passages stand before me. Two lead to different types of ruin. One leads to the West, to Atlas and my first recruit for my war on Olympus. One door is made of marble, one of grey stone, and one of gleaming gold. Shall I pass through Gold, Marble or Stone?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Verge of Olympus, book I; Like Clockwork
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:01 pm »

Marble- elegant, yet functional. As strong as stone, yet capable of showing great beauty. So in other words, marble  is good.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:39:49 pm by Twi »

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:52:13 pm »

cool. as for the dorr since you like gold go for yhe gold.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:42:22 pm »

Marble. Always take the most valuable door that isn't gold.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:58:43 pm »

well i guess marble...

ShadowZane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:00:23 pm »

Marble all the way! harwharrawr!
"Never discuss with an idiot,
first he brings you down to his niveau and then he beats you there cause of his experience"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:02:51 pm »

Stone for it is plain and no one ever thinks of going down the least appealing path maybe the paht with spikes is safer than the smooth gold hallway.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 06:48:00 pm »

I kneel and scrub two fingers on the floor before me.

My quarry has passed this way but a few minutes beforehand. He plodded down the marble hall, oblivious to the danger that lurked behind him. Fool. I will show him what Cronus can do. I will show them the power they forgot after the Titanomachy.

I follow down the marble path. The cool stone passes beneath my feet in great leaps, miles of passage disappearing at my behest. Sweeps of time are before me, and I can play the sharp blades of the timeline like a harp, every possibility laid before me like a scroll. Wars unfought, wars long past, the lives of mortal soldiers and their petty pains.

I sweep them aside. I've seen them all before, as lord of time, and at the brush of my hand they split apart like string and fall like shattered wood. I crush the splinter timelines beneath my boots. The mortals sided with the gods. Fools. I will teach them true power.

Ahead of me looms a open archway. I have passed safely through the doors, as I knew I would. Stone would have led to starvation. Gold, to collapsing beneath my own gluttony. A simple trap and easily avoided if I should need to pass through. But I had no need, and it is useless speculation now. The archway shimmers as I approach, but at the touch of my hand it ceases. The fool probably caught on and thought I would be fooled by his trap.

I have three ways to go about this, each with it's own pros and cons. I could go stealthily, hoping that he has not truely caught on, or that even if he had he did not think I would dodge the alarm. I could go with the bold approach, simply atempting to startle him into inaction. Or I could always go for the dramatic approach, certainly the most fun, but also the most dangerous. I am confident whichever way I should choose, I will be successful.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:50:15 pm »

Stealth. Subtlety is the best course of action when you're not on a timer, and even when you are sometimes.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »

I agree with my collegue. let stelalth guide us.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 04:14:15 pm »

Stealth for it is the safety of an assassin who is moving in for the kill, or the cloak of a theif with a wish to hide.