Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FBs, daylight, and cave adaptation.  (Read 738 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
FBs, daylight, and cave adaptation.
« on: January 28, 2011, 02:18:09 am »

So... if I make a path to the surface, can I release FBs to battle my siege problems? I know they'll probably die, but they might weaken the siege army enough for me to deal with it. My concern is that they wont path up to the surface.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBs, daylight, and cave adaptation.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:50:35 am »

My understanding is that they random-walk around the cavern until they come within range of something smashable.  Either that or I'm just ridiculously over-cautious about opening up passages into the caverns.

If they DO path, then you might be able to create a secondary entrance to the cave that they could use to get to the surface.  Alternately, you could try to path invaders in through the caverns.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:16 am »

Alternately, you could try to path invaders in through the caverns.

That's all well and good, but then I have to go into the caverns for the goblinite. A foolhardy proposition, at best. ;)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:15:41 am »

Well if I'm correct they first path randomly until they see something they consider to be a target for example one of your dwarfs. After which it will consider that to be it's target and it will follow that thing till further notice. So if you drop down say an elf you should be able to us it in order to lure out a fb.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 07:45:53 am »

Well if I'm correct they first path randomly until they see something they consider to be a target for example one of your dwarfs. After which it will consider that to be it's target and it will follow that thing till further notice. So if you drop down say an elf you should be able to us it in order to lure out a fb.

Ah! a use for forgotten prisoners! Wonderful!
[/quote]

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 09:46:50 am »

I had a somewhat dangerous beast in cavern 2 in my current fort that could fly. Cavern 2 and 1 were connected by a deep pit. The beast took forever (2 seasons) to get up into the first cavern despite there being a door for it to smash and i even chained a horse in the middle of the cavern. If you dig a direct up/down stair to the ground level outside from the cavern ground level that will probably work (might have to sacrifice a miner for that last breach) tho, as the beast seemed to only have problems properly pathing through open space.