Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weaponizing smoke  (Read 744 times)

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weaponizing smoke
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:48:01 pm »

I was under the impression, I could swear from reading the Wiki, that smoke couldn't cross Z-levels.

Unrelated to this topic, I put a bunch of roach and rat remains in a refuse stockpile at the bottom of an obsidian reaction chamber and dropped lava on them to watch them burn.

I noticed that the smoke was crossing Z-levels, so I looked in the Wiki and it suggests that smoke does cross Z-levels.

This suggests that it may be possible to pipe it, and if this is so, it would be possible to make a gas chamber for incapacitating invaders or killing prisoners.  The advantages of this would be that a) to my knowledge it's not been done before, b) it's probably pointlessly complicated to do, c) smoke dissipates rapidly after the burning material is removed, so the cycle time could be pretty fast, d) I would assume that smoke would not destroy equipment like magma does, e) it may simply incapacitate its victims, making it possible to send in the military to safely slaughter everyone, f) there are a lot of interesting ideas for things to burn to make the smoke.

I have not tested this.  Perhaps someone would be interested in doing so.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:50:08 pm »

Smoke has yet to be proven harmful to creatures.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:56:35 pm »

Maybe you read that fire won't spread across z-levels, which is correct.

warlordzephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • Keeping dwarves in booze since 2008 (40d)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:57:55 pm »

Smoke has yet to be proven harmful fun to use on creatures.

Fixed

Smoke isn't harmful, steam used to be on DF 2d but smoke is essentually useless. Apart from if you want to make dwarves upset, which is always fun.

I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"shifty eyes

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:37:31 pm »

Magma Mist, however, is extremely deadly.  If you capture magma in a square, and then drop something in it via cave-in, it'll generate magma mist that will pretty much kill on contact.  Consider 1 square of magma, with one awkwardly placed pillar above it, that could be dropped in and misted.  Make it something magma safe too, if you're anal about retrieving stone.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 07:38:13 pm »

You can't gas them with smoke, but you probably can gas them with syndrome-laced gas. Have a substance that triggers a syndrome upon inhalation, and use magma* to turn it from its safe solid state to its dangerous gas state.

*If you can find another way of creating a temperature rise, that'll do as well.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 07:50:55 pm »

Nether Cap has a constant temp of 10k (which is the freezing point of water) so I'm wondering if you can use it for a makeshift freeze trap.  Dump water onto it and it'll freeze from the nether cap flooring, and can then be mined out like solid rock.

If this works, you could mod the raws to have a constantly hot type of wood/stone/metal (perhaps you construct it in the magma forge out of a magma-safe container?) and dump water or something onto it to steam up and cause problems.