Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Brew only, don't eat.  (Read 3093 times)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brew only, don't eat.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 08:05:47 am »

Some other people have made good suggestions but the best suggestion is grow booze plants that don't get eaten.  For underground plants that means Cave wheat, Pig tails and Sweet pods.  I know the default embark options give you plump helmets by default but I almost always get rid of them and bring seeds of the other plants.  You won't end up with dwarves camping on the fields to eat and then complaining there's no booze.  They'll also not complain about drinking the same booze all the time.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 09:40:40 am »

Some other people have made good suggestions but the best suggestion is grow booze plants that don't get eaten.  For underground plants that means Cave wheat, Pig tails and Sweet pods. 

Hear hear!  If you've got 25 tiles of farmland, then every seasonal change you can queue up (say) 10 "brew drink" jobs and leave the rest for turning into flour, thread, syrup, or sugar.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 02:53:49 pm »

I think most people don't bother, but i found fertilizing to be a very effective method of increasing food yields while at the same time saving barrels. A fertilized plot will roughly yield twice the amount it would without potash. So a legendary grower normally makes stacks of 4-5 plants with potash those will be stacks of up to 9 (or even more?) plants. Since each stacks takes only one harvesting and brewing job you get barrels filled with more booze (i think the plant storage barrels also take some amount of stacks but I'm not sure). Depending on fort size you just have to trade for about 20 extra wood with every caravan and then punch in 20 make ash and a bit later 20 make potash from ash orders in the manager. Turn on season fertilize for all plots and you're done.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »

Macros help here.  Record a macro with Ctrl R, then perform the action you want recorded, and Ctrl R again to stop recording.  Then Ctrl S to save it (with a name) and Ctrl L to load it (you can save a whole list of macros to pick from) then just hit Ctrl P to play it, and watch the game make all the actions for you.  Since my fort is modular in design, I've got a macro of digging out a room and adding stairs, which I can just play whenever I need a new sleeping block.

Just be aware that it's context-ignorant.  If you're in the building screen and play a macro, it'll perform the exact same button mashes as when you're in the manager screen.

So in this case, just macro up "burn 20 wood, make 20 potash" and then sit back.  I macro'd my steel production, for 6 charcoal, 2 magnetite smelt, 1 pig iron, 1 steel, to make batches of steel without having to pop in the commands manually.
Pages: 1 [2]