Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A New Sort of Megaproject?  (Read 916 times)

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
A New Sort of Megaproject?
« on: January 25, 2011, 08:11:16 pm »

I suppose this is more of a question rather than a plan, but is anyone aware of any attempts to create a megaproject that spans multiple fortresses? Not multiple embarks on the same fortress, but rather a project that spans over multiple embark sites whose borders overlap?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to channel enough land away along a coastline and allow the ocean flowing in to create your own river spanning several miles. Or perhaps a great Dwarven wall.

I'm sure it's possible, considering the ability to place embarks in such a way that they could overlap. I won't likely be testing this, considering my computer strains running a regular fortress at the moment. I just thought if it hadn't been done, that someone with the necessary OCD may be able to create a true DF monument.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: A New Sort of Megaproject?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:14:50 pm »

Someone on here did an enormous marble wall around several embark sites, giving the wall a 'ruined' appearance at the edges where he couldn't build. Can't remember who it was.
くコ:彡

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:15:38 pm »

The Marble Wall.

There's also been talk of people embarking on a coastline, designing a structure to pump magma out to sea that goes to the edge of the map, then going back with an adventurer and using adventure mode's ability to transcend embark borders to expand the actual landmass of the world, and, given repeated applications of this technique, to make a fortress that is entirely out at sea. I don't know if it's ever been tried, though.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:20:36 pm »

Ah, I thought I'd seen something before, but I couldn't for the life of me find it. As to the ruined edges, I'm wondering if he couldn't have just overlapped sites further to allow a solid build all the way across.

It'll be several months before I build a better computer that could make framerates bearable for the ocean flooding, but this demands proper !science!.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 08:22:41 pm »

The ruined edge were a feature, the whole wall was a ruins to give flavor in adventure mode.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.