Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rivers defy logic  (Read 704 times)

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
rivers defy logic
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:08:19 am »

here we have floor 4. i am draining a river with 3 stairways. the river is 4 tiles wide. 1 tile should flow off the map right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

floor 3. my post flood dining room (which happened because i thought water could go through fortifications). i have yet to build it.

floor 2. drainage to a different river. my cat got stuck here and drowned.

floor 1. a flowing river from a redirected waterfall. wtf. also that grey thing is an obsidian wall. alligators are annoying.

also the rivers meet and the exit for the river stays 4 tiles wide. both rivers are 4 tiles wide. 4+4=4? do rivers work like aquifers?
LOSING IS FUN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: rivers defy logic
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 01:20:49 am »

I don't seem to understand any of your post... but I will say that rivers don't act like conventional water sources.  first of all, you can drain a river into itself, by screw-pumping and diverting the water further upstream.  It'll overflow the banks, but not nearly as much as it should, and with proper abuse of walls you can likely get it to completely be absorbed into the river without more water coming at you, effectively quantum-dumping water.  The same is also partly true of murky pools, as they'll absorb a certain amount of water more than they should.

Also, rivers drain off the edge, but will flow backwards under the right circumstances.  I finally floodgated by river, but during the process I noted that my screw pumps had water at 0/7, and then down the river it slowly rose up to about 4/7, and then towards the edge of the map it was down to 1/7 where it left the map.  This implied that water was draining from the middle of the river, and leaving via the map edge and via my screw pumps.  Eventually though, I managed to build floodgates mid-river, and waited... and waited... and waited about two seasons, before it all drained away or evaporated.  It didn't help that rainwater will refill a river.

In the end, it looks like rivers do NOT like to be tampered with, and will continue on their predestined course unless drastically altered.  You may want to drain a river into an aquifer or ocean, or set up a magma system to steam it away once it's pulled away from the river proper.  Simply allowing it outshoots doesn't seem to be enough, as a river 4 wide being drained by its full width, will not easily dry up.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 01:33:55 am »

Sometimes, rivers can work like aquifers in that if you add water to them, they will be pressurized off the map.
Rivers only flow in one direction, so in your first picture, water will only go towards the left.

Also, it is really satisfying to watch alligators, stingray, carp, etc go down waterfalls and explode.  8)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 04:46:54 am »

Could you feed a fortress using only waterfall victims?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:30 am »

depends on the population it helps if you place a grate under a waterwalf because that way your dwarfs won't have to swim in order to return the kills. It also helps if you place bridges +pressure plates around the edge in order to let more annimals fall into the river (which will drown and if they are close to the waterfall fall off onto the grate)
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.