Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Preferred population cap?  (Read 2366 times)

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preferred population cap?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »

300 because sparta
LOSING IS FUN!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 11:21:37 pm »

Our pathing will block out the CPU!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 05:49:43 am »

I murder all the dwarfs with low stats.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 06:07:12 am »

Usually 80 so I can get sieges. I put it up to 140 once to get the King but that's the highest I've done. 200 dorfs would make my laptop cry.

Oh yeah, and childcap 0/fortress births disabled. I learned my lesson in a fort with unrestricted births that ended up 60% children.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 07:22:38 am »

I'd ideally like 140, so my fort can make it to mountainhome status. My Core 2 Quad is no i7, but at the same time it's no slouch - it could propably handle up to 200.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 08:08:07 am »

I always start off with a max cap of 30, with babies and invasions turned off. Based on what I'm trying to do with that individual fort, I assign labors to the immigrants based (hopefully) on what their actual skills are, but if their skills are useless (fishery jerks) or lower than all the other dwarves already in that industry (the bottom of the totem pole, as it were), then I just assign them any jobs that still need filling, at least until someone else comes along with better stats for it.

Once the pop is a bit fleshed out, labors are somewhat distributed, and the fort is starting to develop, I crank the pop cap up to 49 - this means that I usually get a nice chunk of migrants in the next wave (enough to fill out any industries that still need it), nobody gets to make annoying mandates yet, and any superfluous female dwarves either get assigned jobs as "apprentice" (any jobs that anybody can do, or that I don't want my actual industry dwarves wasting time on), while the extra men get set up as the first batch of recruits in training for military service.

Once all the industries are staffed, the workshops built, the fledgling military in training, and the fortress is finally coming together, I turn on babies, I turn on invasions, and I crank the population up to the "final destination" - whatever population i want toe fort to ultimately support. In some cases, this is only about 60, but once in a while, I feel like having more dwarves for military or projects, so I might play with anywhere from 90 to 120.

I haven't played with a fort larger than that for a LONG time, since I find that a well-managed group of 100+ dwarves is just as effective (if not moerso) than a hodge-podge band of 200.

I'm currently toying with the idea of just setting the cap at 150ish and allowing infinite babies. It'll be a madhouse, but I've been playing with carefully plotted out population controls for so long, I figure it's about time to throw caution to the wind and enjoy the game like a newbie again.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.
Pages: 1 2 [3]