Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Its been a year or more since i played DF. Afew questions.  (Read 663 times)

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Its been a year or more since i played DF. Afew questions.
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:50:47 pm »

When I channel on the surface does it still act as a barrier to keep dwarfs in and monsters out? Seems like it doesn't but i haven't been attacked yet.

Do i need to change a file to get the map creator find function to search for lava pips? The version i have now doesn't have as many search options as the last one I played.

Could use a quick reference guide for the controls. I remember most of it and a lot of it is coming back to me but I'm having trouble assigning homes and work station. Also setting the jobs and priority my dwarfs have.

Thanks for the help.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Its been a year or more since i played DF. Afew questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 12:54:25 pm »

1) Channeling now creates ramps, so you'll need to go down into the channel and remove them to have them function like they did in 40d. Don't forget to give your miners a path out once the ramps are all gone.

2) The new underground system means magma is guaranteed on every embark. Just dig deeper.

3) Check the menus and <DF directory>/data/init/interface.txt.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Its been a year or more since i played DF. Afew questions.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:01:14 pm »

3. q = query, for working with buildings and incomplete constructions
    v = view, for live creatures
   t = items, for looking at what's inside workshops and traps.

Most options you need will be up on the screen to jog your memory, and hitting the Tab key a couple of times will bring up the main command list.

Military will kick your backside at first, there are a few steps you need to take if you want to replicate the old 'draft and destroy' behaviour. It might help to think of the military screen as a kind of GUI (it's mouse-enabled in windowed mode too) instead of the 'stacked lists' of the rest of the interface.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.