Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I love you, armor!!!  (Read 993 times)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I love you, armor!!!
« on: January 21, 2011, 05:48:31 am »

I just recently formed a new swordsdwarf squad, and was not able to fully clad them in armor by the time they got called to duty.  I had 5 suits of completed armor and 6 dwarfs.  In the battle that followed, armor made a huge difference in their survivability.  The unarmored dwarf, despite being of comparable skill to the other dwarfs (not very skilled) got cut to pieces in the first 10 seconds of battle.  The rest of the dwarves survived with various injuries and broken bones from a Lasher who got killed nonetheless.  Fighting all my battles right below my archer-tower also provides great synergy, since when a bolt stuns a goblin, it gets dispatched by my swordsdwarf immediately.

But yeah, i was surprised at just what a differnence armor made.  I love my high-master armorsmith!  Looking through the combat logs, there was a heck of a lot of "[attack] deflected by *bronze high boot*"
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I love you, armor!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:27:04 am »

Yes, it makes a big difference. I only use steel armor/weapons, and the most military dwarves I ever had was 4. 4 dwarves to drive off entire sieges. Sure, they might lose a limb once in a while, but their awesome kill counts make up for that. Also, they all have royal mausoleums. With statues of their deeds.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:29:57 am »

Armor is pretty much the difference between getting raped in year 2 and having a 50-year-old fort. That is, unless you do cheesy stuff like locking down your fort from attackers or just spamming traps in your entrances.

Since steel takes a long time to produce, I don't bother with it until I have a high-level armorsmith. I build all bronze armor at the start of my fort, hope for a good migrant or a moody armorsmith, and then crank out the steel (with a bit of leather for good measure).

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:24:54 pm »

How MUCH armor do you people use!?

I can have ten dorfs in all steel and they still get slaughtered by ambushers...

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:32:50 pm »

Quality, not quantity.
Skill, not property.

Shields are essential.
Leather Robes help sometimes in some ways (but not much).

Mostly, train them up in a Danger Room.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 10:53:33 pm »

I hate danger rooms....way to exploity for me  ::)