Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First FB kill!  (Read 2753 times)

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First FB kill!
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 09:28:26 am »

I had my first FB kill last week with my first fortress before watching Captnduck's tutorials. When it appeared, I was sure my fortress would fail as I had no military (couldn't figure it out at the time), no weapons, and no traps. So this giant scorpion comes walking up my stairs into my main hall and proceeds to slaughter all my dogs and my expedition leader. I felt bad for him as he gotten married about 30 seconds before this, the party was still going on and everyone tried to hide in the corner of the room. Fast forward a few minutes, I've lost about 20 of my 70ish dwarves before I finally figure out the military. I recruit all the remaining dwarves who are alive and without horrible disfiguring injuries. What happened next was the most amusing thing I've seen in my fortresses so far. 30 or so dwarves stop running on a dime, sprint at the thing, form a giant mobcircle around it and spend the next 2 hours punching and kicking the thing into a bloody pulp. Not one of them even got injured.
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 11:44:23 am »

(about 11,000 units of mass in all)
Whoa. [/Keanu Reeves]
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 11:53:20 am »

My first FB was an iron (or was it steel) quadruped that breathed fire. He wiped my military and 75% of the civilians without taking a scratch. I managed to seal it with a cave in at the last moment. Tried to put a hatch over the empty space over the section of the fort he was stuck in; furnitures haulers were all "hmm hatch ok AAAH WTF IS THAT" and he kept scaring everything away.

Next FB was some sort of flying iguana or something. He had both a fire and ice breath, and killed himself somehow after encountering a chained goat.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

timco35

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 01:54:16 pm »

After years of lurking this post sucked me in to finally register and reply.

My first FB will take a little background to explain.  It was my second DF fort since chasms were added.  Despite the threat of FB's I still considered invasions to be my greatest threat and I wanted a fun grand design to deal with them.  Something a little more that the towers of crossbow death I usually consturct around my fort entrance.
This time I built a long 5 square wide entrance that stretched maybe 30-40 squares down before turning 90 degrees for another long hall.  Down the main hall I placed several traps, side chambers acting as guard rooms, and eventually a siege engine placed at the end of the first turn.  But my favorite trap was a drowning chamber.  Not just a pool, but the whole first half of my trap hall. I did this with flood gates at both sides of the drowning chamber with the front gates opening manually from the usual dining room lever and the rear gates with water pressure plates.  I had no success getting those pressure plates to work so opted for a second lever for the back gates.  Now feeding the room from a river led to the obvious problem of not being drainable afterwards and to the "obvious" solution of needing a drain.  The chasm underworld seemed perfect.  In fact, the drowning chamber had 2 purposes.  Not only could it drown invaders but could be use as a force pump against any attackers from below.  The idea seemed creative and fun.

That is untill my first FB came up from underground.  I don't remember too many of the details of it other than being a feathery insectoid of some kind and a name with more vowels than consinants that I couldn't pronounce without spitting on the monitor.  Anyways as soon as he was spotted making his way up towards my fort from the chasm I triggered the drowning chamber.  By time he reached the chamber it was more than half full.  All was well, for the momment.  At this point my guard side chambers were void of any military because I had spent more time on the hall and traps itself other than outfitting them.  The FB then proceeded to destroy the floodgates that were on the inner side of my flood chamber.  At first I thought I didnt hit the right lever or something because I didn't realize that FBs could destroy them.  While trying to scramble my military the FB did an about face and just decided to leave my fort entirely breaking my water source gates on his way out.  My grand design drowned nearly my entire population while I stared on, paralyzed with disbelief at my own ignorance.  I never even exchanged a single blow with him and he felled my entire fort.  In the last few moments before I abandoned the watery fort I spotted him fluttering around the countryside probably glad not to be cramped up in the caves below any longer.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 01:58:38 pm »

My first FB was a blob made of water, after a few month of it terrifying the citizens it eventually met it's match with a cornered woodcutter. After dodging the blob's "deadly" spittle (which was frozen water) she swung her axe and chopped the evil beast in half.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 02:07:43 pm »

snip

That's so... classy!

"Dwarf. Here is what I think of your death trap. Now witness the consequences of your ignorance."
*turns around and leave*
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 [2]