Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Playing as humans  (Read 1410 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Playing as humans
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 02:22:45 pm »

Also, if you want grizzly bears to show up in tropical forests, you need to add [BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST] to their entry. Alternatively, if you want them to show up everywhere, you could add [BIOME:ANY_LAND].

Yea that was what I did. Copied the grizzlys from the creature_large_temperate to creature_large_tropical. Im just starting messing with the raws and didnt know it worked the other way. And thanks for showing me how to do it properly.

What you did was something completely other than what he said to do.

Contrary to what you might expect, which raw file a creature is in has nothing whatsoever to do with where the creature appears.  The titles of the raw files are purely for the convenience of the modders.  The game does not care what the title of the raw file is, it's just taking them all and reading all the data in wherever it comes from.  When you took the copy of the grizzly bear data from creature_large_temperate and copied it into creature_large_tropical, you created two identical raws for the same creature in the raw files (the game doesn't care that they're in separate files).  Therefore, duplicate raws and a broken world.

What you want to do is restore your raws to the original install state.  Then, go to the grizzly bear entry in creature_large_temperate and add the line [BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST] to it.  Do not make a second grizzly bear entry anywhere in the raws, do not touch creature_large_tropical or any other raw file.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Erkeric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as humans
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 03:47:20 pm »

Sphalerite I got it handled. I was saying that when I first tried it on my own, I did it wrong. He explained how to do it correctly and I fixed it.

I did it wrong before even posting this thread. You just misread my post.
Pages: 1 [2]