Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hesitant Goblins  (Read 646 times)

AngryDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hesitant Goblins
« on: January 23, 2011, 06:06:08 am »

Hey Guys,

Having some problems with goblins in my current fort.  I've got a long corridor leading underground to a vast cavern that is my entrance, and it is protected by a 2x6 row of 10xweapon traps.

The problem im having is that whenever I get a goblin siege/ambush they just mill around the entrance, or midway down the corridor and don't come into the fort.  The first time it happened I almost had everyone die of thirst!  Now as the game progresses the time where topside is free from enemies is getting smaller and smaller (they do go away eventually).

Without a strong millitary I am forced to bunker down.

Does anyone know why they are not walking through my weapon traps like they should?

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hesitant Goblins
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 06:25:26 am »

I noticed similar behavior when I would open and close bridges over pits, where the goblins would "see" their allies get caught in a trap and then be cautious to go over it.  It may be that as they lose soldiers they become more hesitant to attack, I'm not sure.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 09:19:37 am »

I think they need to be able to path to your fortress. I think sometimes it is bugged, when you close the access and then open it up again they might ignore that and keep standing around.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 09:23:40 am »

No. I have seen a goblin squad losing six members in a trapped corridor and then trying to find another path.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 10:17:21 am »

Using more than one entrance can help this. I usually have separate entrances for each cardinal direction.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 12:35:41 pm »

I would be happy allready if they would even move away from the Mapedge. My sieges just stand around until you go to them, i can just ignore them and build up a badass military in the meantime. Takes a bit the danger out of these attacks^^
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

AngryDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 03:17:41 pm »

Well its wierd because in my last fortress I had a corridor of traps on ground level that led directly into my fortress at the first level underground.  Whenever they attacked they just walked through the grinder everytime.

Now, with the trapped entrance 7 or so z-levels underground they simply dont go down there at all unless they chase a dwarf or a cat down there by conincidence.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 03:19:55 pm »

Meh. My first ambush in my latest fort were not hesitant. 8 of them. Led by swordgobbo, the rest speargobbos. All 20 military dead (as it was the 18th month of the fort and metal production had only made swords and hammers so far), then the rest of the 35 in a few moments later...
This is a blank sig.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 03:32:28 pm »

I have noticed that if a goblin squad hits a bunch of cage traps and the leader is captured the rest of the squad tend to just stay around the leader and wont go further by themselves. It tends to be solved though when dwarves go out to grab the cages and the goblins see them and charge running further into the traps and getting killed/captured. Having a bait animal can help draw them into traps aswell.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.