Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interrupt  (Read 844 times)

Anubis039

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interrupt
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:57:51 am »

I hate it when caverns interrupt a construction of mine. I was just channeling out an underground pillar to house my dwarves and my miners get about half way down and break into a cavern, completely ruining my planning. Any stories of caverns being in particularly  inconvenient places?
TG: like if honor among thieves is something then lets call it camaraderie among ironic rapping roof ninjas

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interrupt
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:00:52 am »

Well, there was the one time I broke in to the caverns and revealed adamantine.  That wasn't the issue, though; the issue was that there was a vein of it concealed in an area I was digging out...failure to pay attention to the situation led to us breaking in to a hollow tube with predictable consequences.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:12:09 am »

Well, I once nearly flooded my fort when I tried to dig a shaft straight up from my fort to the surface. There was a bit of unrevealed cavern in the path of the shaft which contained an underground lake, and since dwarves can't notice wet stone above them...

If it wasn't for the heroic sacrifice of a mason walling himself in with the water, the entire fort would've drowned. ( Then later, I flooded it on purpose when I got bored. Suck it, heroic mason! )
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:13:45 am »

I always break the caverns first and plan my fortress after I know the dimensions of the caverns.

Beach Bum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 11:38:07 am »

The fort I'm on now has a cavern about 8 Z levels down right where I was going to put the workshops. Now I'm having to make the stockpile room contain the workshops until I can find a place to put them. The second I hit those caverns though I slapped some covers on the stairs and locked them even though I had barely breached them. I don't want to know what is planning to crawl up from there and it would make short work of the fort with so few floors to move through lol.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:01:45 pm »

I always break the caverns first and plan my fortress after I know the dimensions of the caverns.
Yeah. Unfortunately, sometimes there are small sections that are connected to the map edge but not the rest of the cavern layer. These will not be revealed when the rest of the cavern is.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 12:20:26 pm »

wait a minutes, people dont construct wall and floor and such where they are actually appropriate?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 12:53:04 pm »

Whenever I breach the caverns accidentally, I just start my silk industry in the caverns.
Then I wall it off and flood it after catching a GCS.

damug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 01:47:56 pm »

I always dig down to the caverns, then build my fortress into the caverns themselves.  Feels more organic that way, and no two forts are the same.

Also, there's nothing like the feeling of losing 40 dwarves to a rampaging forgotten beast, weathering the tantrum spiral afterwards and having the fort come out stronger because of it.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 07:09:45 pm »

I have a habit of mining my fort several levels down. This allows enough room for pitfall traps to be above my fort if space is small but it also causes me to run into the caverns while digging out my bedrooms. I hate having my plans for the perfect floor plan ruined by some cave!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 07:49:01 pm »

wait a minutes, people dont construct wall and floor and such where they are actually appropriate?
I prefer to dig stuff out. Plus, the flashing of a large construction is hell on my eyes when I'm making alterations.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.