Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recuperating water  (Read 715 times)

lotopius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recuperating water
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:19:32 pm »

I created a nice waterfall to paliate an approaching tantrum spiral.
But I have little water and I want to conserve it. I initially wanted to set up a reservoir under it, with floor bars instead of floor to let the water through.
The problem is; floor bars are not considered as a structure; as a result I can only build a 2 tile wide corridor; and the water tends to go a little all over the place as it falls and I steadily loose water to the heat. I don't want/can't build fortifications since the water tank is only 1 z-level deep and already full
What can I do?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Recuperating water
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:31:03 pm »

What does your waterfall look like? I'm getting the impression that it's larger than it needs to be.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:41:01 pm »

get water from caverns.

use a well if you are afraid of the monsters
LOSING IS FUN!

lotopius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:04:44 pm »

What does your waterfall look like? I'm getting the impression that it's larger than it needs to be.

The stack is 4 pumps high total.
F is floor
W is wall
P is pump
~ is water

Code: [Select]
Top:

FFWW
 PP~~
FFWW

bottom:

FFFFFFFFFFF
FF~~~~~~F
WWW~~~~~F
 PP~~~~~~F
WWW~~~~~~F
 FF~~~~~~F
FFFFFFFFFFFF
The water falling spreads out on a 4 by 4 area; so I can't floor-bar it all withought putting a floor sowhere.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:05:25 pm »

If the ground freezes ever, you can freeze your water cistern every so often, which will return full 7/7 water.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:42:04 pm »

Even if you can't cover the whole area with floor bars or grates, can't you just leave an impassible 2x2 hole (or however big you need) in the center and let the remaining perimeter be walkable?

If water is so limited, then I think water conservation should come before efficient pathing.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

lotopius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 07:22:58 pm »

I don't have that little water; it's just that it's placed in such a way that it's a pain to refill should it ever end up empty.
I ended up using a series of fortifications and floor bars. It looks like a labyrinth; but at least it works.