Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to know if you have certain hidden stuff  (Read 465 times)

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to know if you have certain hidden stuff
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:11:40 am »

In previous versions of DF it was possible to turn on "Show this or that at world embark" for things like, say, underground caves or rivers or that-other-stuff. But now this seems to have been removed from the game. I haven't been keeping track of recent development (post-40d) so does this mean that there is "always" going to be a (possibility?) for an underground river at my embark locations?
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to know if you have certain hidden stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:16 am »

AFAIK there are no underground rivers. Every embark is however guaranteed 3 different cavern layers (unless switched off in advanced map generation) which span multiple z-level can be connected and any number of them can contain lakes which will refill if they touch the map edge.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Magma pools are still in the game and tend to be found in areas with obsidian layers. Chasm are not in 3.18. Underground tunnels and roads I'm not sure about I think they're in but i never found one myself.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:30:13 am »

All embark areas contain underground caverns and a magma sea, though I'm not sure if any of the caverns are guaranteed to contain water. Additionally, all embarks at least 3x3 in size are guaranteed to contain adamantine (and HFS) - one "cluster" appears in each 2x2 region on the embark map, so an embark region only 2 tiles wide or only 2 tiles tall has a chance of not getting any at all.

The only underground feature that's actually uncommon is an alternative entrance to HFS, and there's no way to make it show up on the embark map.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:34:25 am »

You can check if you've got it by looking at your stocks screen as soon as you embark and seeing if there's any unusual weaponry there. It's better than nothing, at least.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:07:43 pm »

or forbidden weapons or food would point to an underground civ

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:36:05 pm »

What!?  There are underground civs?!
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:38:35 pm »

there are unnamed animal civilizations, on my current fortress its antmen