Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That was disappointingly easy (digging-too-deep spoilers)  (Read 726 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
That was disappointingly easy (digging-too-deep spoilers)
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »

So Blackchasm has gotten a bit dull lately, and I figured a little unholy death from below would liven things up.  So, I open up the breach and let my woefully inadequate 30 soldiers have a shot at the local denizens of the underworld.  I figured I'd get a nice fun little slaughterfest and see Blackchasm off in a glorious demon-releasing fervor.

As you may have gathered from the topic title, that didn't happen.  Oh there were demons galore, and a valiant fight did take place.  But the end results were a mere 10 soldiers down and every demon slain.  No fresh waves emerged from hell either, so they just went back to training.  Granted, 18 of them died from infection a few days later and about 10 non-military Dwarves are now infected themselves, but that's a paltry casualty rate that a single migration wave tends to fix.  I got so irritated that, while preparing my hell-colony, I went ahead and killed off most of the fort's animals (and another 30 Dwarves) by deconstructing a bridge they were all standing on.  And the worst I got out of that was a dead king and the dutchess tantruming occasionally.

So anyway, I now have a pretty sweet hell-crypt.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More hell-buildings will follow, of course, built from solid steel since I have about 2,500 pieces of that left.
Sanity is for the weak.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That was disappointingly easy (digging-too-deep spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 06:29:32 pm »

Are you also going to make a farm down there to grow the requisite "Plump Hellmets"?

I've found that most of the challenges in Dwarf Fortress are only actual challenges if you don't prepare adequately, or are not playing by certain self-imposed restrictions.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."