Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starving fortress: what has happened?  (Read 452 times)

xtc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starving fortress: what has happened?
« on: January 19, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »

196 dwarfs
105 units of meat
399 prepared meals
1006 plants
356 drinks

The whole fortress is starving to death. Jobs canceled left and right to hunt vermin, dwarfs dropping dead where they stand. There are no forbidden areas or blocked off areas. Folks are running around all over the place as normal.

I checked out the stocks screen and zoomed to a few prepared meals. None of them are rotten. But all of them are 'owned' by someone or other. Since I have twice as many meals as dwarfs stocked away does this mean some dwarfs have claimed loads of food while others are left with nothing?

For a long time I suspended cooking and the farming of certain plants because I was swamped with food and couldn't store it. The fortress couldn't make barrels fast enough. But I seem to have 'run out' long before I've actually run out.

What could be happening?

xtc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starving fortress: what has happened?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »

On further investigation, the only people who seem to own food are military dwarfs....

Am I right in thinking this is bugged?

How do I get the food off them? At the moment I've ordered every piece of food in the fortress to be dumped.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starving fortress: what has happened?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:02:44 pm »

For a quick fix set all your soldiers to carry no food in the supplies sub menu of the military screen.
AFAIK the bug you are experiencing happens if you set your squads to carry food (the default), but either don't have backpacks for them to put the food in or they fail to equip the backpacks (because of having mining, woodcutting or hunting enabled or having no armor/clothing to equip the backpack on).