Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Since artifacts can be made of ANYTHING?  (Read 772 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Since artifacts can be made of ANYTHING?
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »

Ok, since artifacts can be made of ANYTHING apparently, is a plump helmet sword possible?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Since artifacts can be made of ANYTHING?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:44:12 pm »

I don't believe so. I'm pretty sure that artifacts can only be constructed from viable material types for the item that specific artifact is.

In other words an artifact sword can be made out of anything a normal sword could be made out of. Same goes for artifact statues/floor grates/etc.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:48:52 pm »

Artifacts can be made from materials which the item the artifact is cannot normally be made from.  For example, a strange mood can produce a stone bed or a glass barrel, which normally cannot be made.

However, the material a mood uses is determined by the skill picked for the mood.  A glass barrel will be made by a glassmaker, a stone bed by a mason.  There is no skill for crafting things out of plump helmets, unless you count brewing or cooking, but brewing and cooking are not moodable skills.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:10:36 pm »

They can also make things that you normally can't, for instance an artifact cowleather turban studded with limestone and spiked with sapphire.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »

Artifacts can be made out of any building material. That means any stone (boulders or blocks), metal, wood, cloth, glass, leather, bone and other butchering by-products (skulls, hooves, horns, teeth, etc.). It also ignores any economic stone designation, so a moody dwarf will gladly grab a chunk of bituminous coal to carve into a useless amulet, with hanging rings of your last bit of flux stone, for you to admire. Food, drink, sand bags, existing furniture or finished goods, and other objects not involved in the building process, however, are never subject to being claimed for a mood.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 03:28:47 pm »

you can see the list of possible dwarf requests during a mood here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Strange_mood#Demands

there's no food on the list.  you can definitely get things made out of a material that's not normally possible (my current fortress has 2 artifact native aluminum beds) but you can't get anything that's not listed; a moody dwarf would never ask for it. 
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 03:32:10 pm »

Ok, since artifacts can be made of ANYTHING apparently, is a plump helmet sword possible?
I had one of those.
But when I had modded in food blocks  :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 04:24:00 pm »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:27:34 pm »

I'm trying to imagine a plump helmet....helmet.

How very meta.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »

no really I made that as a plant>metal block conversion to make special fort... I lol'd at that.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.