Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surviving in a frozen area?  (Read 444 times)

ChocolateBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surviving in a frozen area?
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:41:13 am »

(First topic I'm making here, besides from the introduction one :) )

So I just started out an expedition and chose an area that was covered in snow. I've never tried this out before, and I soon realized that I have no idea how to survive in such an area. All water's frozen around the year, and the ground is covered in snow. So basically there's no way to make a farm, or am I wrong?

That's basically it, without farms I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to keep my dwarves alive and happy. Halp Plix ;)
"Not changing sig until I shave"
Started 1994

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving in a frozen area?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:44:52 am »

Dig until you find a cavern, there's plenty mud own there. Or use magma to melt the ice.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:22 am »

Dig until you hit the caverns or you can try hauling mined ice into your base (I've never gotten this to work).
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

ChocolateBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:50:11 am »

Ah, thanks for the quick answers. I've never played so far that I managed to find magma though (yes, I'm a magma-virgin. *cries*). Gonna try to find caverns
"Not changing sig until I shave"
Started 1994

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:52:28 am »

If you have no aquifer (which are rather easy to get through in a freezing biome), your only chance are the caverns. Dig down fast and if you worry about cavern wildlife carve a fortification into a wall that connects to a cavern lake. Make sure you have a lever operated door or floodgate (clear the area of rock that could block the floodgate) behind this fortification in case the diagonals you dug out for depressurizing don't work.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:24 pm »

Once you have had magma, you never go back...
This is a blank sig.