Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapicus Serpentius  (Read 1279 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Trapicus Serpentius
« on: January 15, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »

So, I'm currently working on getting a breeding pair of Sea Serpents (Modded to give myself a chance of this happening, instead of just ending up with capturing the Biome's only one.), and I was wondering if this idea I had for them would work.

Code: [Select]
XXXXXXFFFXXXXXX
XXXH       HXXX
XXX         XXX
 SP  ~   ~  SP
XXX         XXX
XXXH       HXXX
XXXXXXFFFXXXXXX

X - Wall
H - Hatch
SP - Screwpump
~ - Serpent
F - Floodgate

So I would wait until the gobbos or whatever is attacking gets into the chamber, and I close it off, then turn on the screwpumps, they fill the chamber, and they start drowning.

To make this more dwarvenly, the serpents start ripping them to pieces, now that they're able to move.

The problem I forsee with this model is they'd need to be chained so they stay in the chamber, but that would prevent them from swimming freely to eat the gobbos. Also, crossbows would take care of them before the chamber could flood.

This is my alternative model, which may be worse, or may be better:

XXXXXXFFFXXXXXX
XXXGF      FGXXX
XXXFF     FFXXX
XXX         XXX
 SP ~     ~ SPX
XXX         XXX
XXXFF     FFXXX
XXXGF     FGXXX
XXXXXXFFFXXXXXX

This one uses grates surrounded by floodgates, a bit more space consuming, but I think it'd be better.

The flood gates would all go up once the gobbos were in the room (It's more of a vast chamber, 10 x 30 I'm thinking), and the screwpumps would start flooding it (More than two, obviously), the sea serpents would then start chowing down on delicious goblins, and once they were all taken care of, the inner floodgates would go down, allowing water to escape through the grates, and then the outer floodgates would open, allowing dwarves through. And the serpents would be immobile due to lack of water.

Version 2 is a bit more complicated, and would require more management on my part, but I think it'd be better.

Ideas?
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trapicus Serpentius
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 10:17:55 pm »

Well, the silence has given me room to think at least.

Third Design, which I think I'll be going with:

XXXXXGGGGGXXXXX
XXXXXXFFFXXXXXX
XXX         XXX
 SP         SP
XXX ~     ~ XXX
 SP         SP
XXX         XXX
XXXXXXFFFXXXXXX
XXXXXGGGGGXXXXX

This should take care of pretty much everything, and be pretty simple too. And there shouldn't be any leakage, since water is viscous and grates are treated as straight drops in relation to liquids. Sweet, thanks for the help guys!

New topic up for discussion here: How do I incorporate my unicorns?

mattspierce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:38:32 pm »

Why not build a channeled area around and under the pathway.  On the level with the foot path have a drainage path closed with a fortification to strain out goblinites and serpents. Then a flood gate to keepnthe water in.  The lower level  flooded to 7/7 with the serpents swimming free.  Goblins enter and the floodgates close off the hall.  Pumps raise the level of the water over the bridge.  Gobs get flushed around then eaten.  Open the food gate to drain back to ready state.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:52:10 pm »

Chain all your unicorns to the bottom of a pit. Pit gobbos down there, see if any get impaled on the way down.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »

I managed to get a breeding pair without modding them to be more common.  The trick is to embark on the border of two savage ocean biomes, catch the one sea serpent out of each biome, and hope you get a male and female.

Unless you've modded them, sea serpents can't breathe air, so they'll air-drown when the compartment doesn't have water in it.  And unless you've tamed them, they won't actually attack the goblins, being timid wild animals.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 12:16:41 am »

Yeah, unfortunately, all my speculation was for naught.

For some reason the ocean I'm bordering is dead. I haven't seen anything in it yet, and I doubt I will in the future.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:12:29 am »

For some reason the ocean I'm bordering is dead. I haven't seen anything in it yet, and I doubt I will in the future.
Try killing or catching all the land wildlife you can.  The number of groups of wild animals which can be on the map at any one time is limited.  On most maps you can only have one aboveground group, and land and sea animals share this slot.  If you kill off or catch any groups of surface creatures you see, you should start getting ocean creatures eventually.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.