Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just grab the metal  (Read 486 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Just grab the metal
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:06:05 am »

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but I'm so tired of the situation, I'm asking anyways. Is there a quick and easy way to make my dwarves only pick the metal items from enemy corpses? I couldn't care less about the clothing, but I want all the metal items they carry, and currently I have to sift through each corpse one by one and select what I need.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just grab the metal
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:19:06 am »

Well, there's always magma for the burnination... but that'll melt some metal items as well, so...

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:27:29 am »

make a stockpile accepting equipment of redundant equipments they usually carry with low quality, an another accepting everything else they carry. Mass claim the goblinite and mass dump the former stockpile later. Less hassle that way.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 12:45:37 am »

Have a large number of magma smelters, a large number of furnace operators, no stockpiles that accept any goblin-type equipments. After each siege, claim all the loot, then designate it all for melting, have all of your magma smelters set up to melt metal objects, and just let your furnace operators clear the surface of all metal. Once that's done, you can dump the non-metal stuff at your leisure.

Alternatively, kill goblins with a magma trap that you can drain quickly on command. The goblins will die in the heat, their cloth items will burn, but then you've got some time to drain the trap before most metals get hot enough to melt, so you can save even the non-magma-safe metals.

A design I've used for this purpose is as follows. The top z-level is composed of a large magma reservoir that is floored with magma-safe retractable bridges. The middle z-level is floored with magma-safe floor grates, and is where the enemy paths through. The lower z-level is completely covered in 1-tile-long (though up to 10 wide) magma-safe drawbridges. I usually link the bridges on the top and bottom levels all to the same lever. When enemies pass through the grate corridor, I pull the lever, the bridges on top retract, and the bridges on the bottom raise. Magma falls down, covering the enemy in fiery doom, but cannot fall down to the bottom z-level because the raised drawbridges there are forming walls in every tile. Once the enemies are dead, the lever is pulled again, and the top-level bridges reappear (allowing the magma reservoir to refill), and the bottom-level bridges lower, allowing the magma in the corridor to fall through the grates, draining the whole thing near-instantly, and thus saving all of the items that have not yet been melted. I've consistently been able to save at least bronze gear with this method, and usually can keep the silver and copper gear, too.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:20:14 am »

Ok, time to make some magma tunnels.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:40:08 am »

My problem is that when I claim all their goodies, my dwarfs pick out the clothing they want, and then I end up with unmovable clothing, either where they stripped it off in ecstasy at having a used sock, or at the location where the goblin died when the bastard when all exhibitionist to switch it out.

How can I stop dwarf-claiming of goblin clothes when reclaiming?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:47:16 am »

d-b-c
d-b-d
d-b-m

crap gobo clothing gets dumped, metal stuff gets moved to stockpile
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:00:28 am »

Use cage traps.  Remove their weapons via the stocks screen (mass forbid the cages, change forbid -> dump from the stocks screen on each, mass unforbid) just in case (wait for them to get dumped).

Now pit all of these buggers into a drain-able pit full of magma.  Fun!
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.