Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unstoppable FB Extract Plague  (Read 1082 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unstoppable FB Extract Plague
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:35:09 am »

So my second forgotten beast was a skinless skink with a pair of antennae. It also had a deadly dust attack. The FB died pretty easily, but not before filling the tunnels with dust.

After a few minutes the militia who fought it began to go blind and paralyzed. They suffocated to death and I lost five of them just like that. I knew stuff like that happened, so I rebuilt my militia and moved on.

Soon after the FB's death random dwarves were catching bouts of fever, numbness, and partial paralysis. I was fine with that too since none of them died.

And then after a goblin ambush on the surface one year later I started to get suffocation notices. Mostly dogs, cats, and children. Somehow the inhabitants of the fort were getting the FB extract, which was quiet for a year, on them. I think it has to do with how coverings can transfer all over the place. Only one adult died from the second wave, and she was less than twenty years old anyway.

Anyone else encounter stuff like this? I'm fairly sure it is caused by forgotten beast extract since I've seen it on the affected animals. The dwarf who died in the second wave was hauling the body of a cat who had suffocated, so is it possible that syndromes are transmissible. Generally the older dwarves seem resistant; they get sick but don't croak. And the doctors don't seem interested in dealing with it, assuming they can deal with it at all.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unstoppable FB Extract Plague
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:53:00 am »

Yeah I've had similar stuff happen. As far as i could tell dwarves would put on contaminated armor and weapons from the soldiers who died after defeating a forgotten beast and when they fight or go outside in the rain they spread the goo around, then dwarfs without shoes or pets step into it and catch the disease.
Depending on the type of disease doctors will either diagnose the patient and send him off or prescribe some surgery (only in the case of rotten tissue). In some cases the patients won't even feel bad enough to go to the hospital until it's too late (they wouldn't switch to the 'rest' job until they were fully paralyzed/rotten/covered with blisters).
What you can do is make some cleaning trenches (filled with 3/7 water) in choke points in your fort, and/or dump/melt all contaminated items. Know that dust beasts get their goo on every item that is hit by the dust, so if you fought it inside some mined out hallway all the mined out stones should probably still be covered with the extract. Whether handling these items is dangerous i can't really tell, at least the furnace operators whom i used to melt extract covered armor and weapons didn't contract syndromes for me.

Edit:
Beware of the year when your first dwarves clothes rot away completely. You should have lots of shoes, robes, gloves and hoods prepared and then you will have to draft everybody and assign them a civilian uniform consisting of aforementioned clothing.
This won't work for miners, woodcutters and hunters so keep an eye out for them, you don't want your legendary miners to suffocate or bleed to death because they decided to play in a puddle of fb extract.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:07:14 am by shlorf »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:21:39 am »

dfcleanmap will fix any existing problems with extract outdoors. If you'd like to avoid using the utility in future, set up cleaning trenches so that anyone passing between outdoors and indoors has to get cleaned off (you'll still need it for anything that drops extracts above ground, though). You might need to end up using dfcleanmap even you have enough cleaners available, as the job seems to have a low priority and it's kind of unfair when it leads to deadly plagues.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:31:31 am »

An update on the situation. I realized that the cats only got it when going outdoors. So I looked around their favorite area and saw a puddle of frozen FB extract. It was situated at the end of a wall, where everyone steps as they go around the wall. Perhaps a little rashly i had the tile channeled out but hopefully that'll end the problem.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:47 pm »

If you had built a wall on the puddle, it would have destroyed the puddle.  As it stands, you may have just transferred it to the tile below.  Maybe you should floor over the ramp-channel.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 01:01:18 pm »

If you had built a wall on the puddle, it would have destroyed the puddle.  As it stands, you may have just transferred it to the tile below.  Maybe you should floor over the ramp-channel.

No!!! You pit cats into the pit.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:20:10 pm »

Fortunately the channeled out tile didn't drop the FB extract onto the main living area, but the miner who dug it out was contaminated and died. I've built floors over all the other puddles I could find but the dwarves are starting to tantrum from all the deaths. We'll see how it goes.

It's really odd how the extract can spread to places the FB never reached. I mean, I killed it thirty levels below the surface (on the same level it appeared) and yet the extracts are everywhere.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 02:11:19 pm »

I now dig cleaning ditches just before my entrances into the caverns.  This keeps any FB extract from being transfered out of the caverns up into my fortress. 

On a side note, digging cleaning trenches + dfcleanmap had a *huge* positive effect on my FPS.  I was quite impressed, totally worth it imo. 
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 02:57:59 pm »

If your dorfs fought the beast and got some blood on their clothes it doesn't matter...until they are out in the rain and it gets washed onto the floor.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:10:14 pm »

Try making a Dwarven bathtub or two in strategic areas.  If you need to clean specific dwarves or pets, put a lever at the end of a hallway behind one of these guys and assign the dwarf or pet owner to the lever.  For unowned animals, just butcher them.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 04:27:47 pm »

What you can do is make some cleaning trenches (filled with 3/7 water) in choke points in your fort.

word of caution when doing this.  I did this and it did work, but not exactly 'perfectly.'  You see, I had 1 contaminated dwarf hit the water trench.  he was fully cleaned, and the water knocked the fogotten beast extract into the 2/7 water.  Next thing I know, every single dwarf that passed through that square got forgotten beast extract over every single part of their body, but since they were in water, it was instantly washed away.  The result was 30 or so dwarves suffering from numbness, bleeding all over the place, occasionally reporting to the hospital.  Since the exposure was very quick, they soon all made full recoveries, and the blood got cleaned up.  I set the square with the extract to a restricted zone, and once a clean job got assigned the extract was destroyed.  However, I can imagine this brief moment of exposure due to the trench method could be very bad given certain properties of the contaminant.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:58:04 am »

I might try the dwarf bathtub idea, it seems simple enough.