Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Best Anti-virus out there  (Read 4828 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Best Anti-virus out there
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 01:13:50 pm »

i am currently looking at Comodo and Microsoft side by side trying to decide which i want to use.
I got nothing

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 02:28:08 am »

Only glanced quickly at the posts but I havent seen malwarebytes anti malware mentioned.  Its a damn good little bit of gear.  Been using it for a few years and have had no issues, it also seems to pick up stuff that often gets though other commercial anti vi stuff ive had.  Free too.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 03:38:29 am »

Microsoft Security Essentials, now just because microshit made it doesn't mean it sucks, its free and is very good compared to AVG and Avast whom commented that Essentials is a good competitor.

This. So much this.

Try and remember that the other "anti-viruses" want to keep you as paranoid as possible, whilst Microsoft really wants you to have a bug free experience. I'd suggest some sort of anti-spyware/harmful cookies software to go with it, but that's about it.

Also, use Firefox and NoScript. Saves you against 99.9% of attacks.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 10:11:13 am »

Say I really wanted Avast or AVG, how would I go about getting rid of Norton entirely? The program is not as horrible as it is made out to be, but it does a lot of things without asking, or prevents me from changing options in my own damn system. Including stopping me from getting rid of it. Mind as well rename it SKYNET.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:13:31 am by Rex_Nex »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 12:59:00 pm »

Say I really wanted Avast or AVG, how would I go about getting rid of Norton entirely? The program is not as horrible as it is made out to be, but it does a lot of things without asking, or prevents me from changing options in my own damn system. Including stopping me from getting rid of it. Mind as well rename it SKYNET.

I'd probably go here. Norton's own support page holds a means of (theoretically) removing the software.

And then I'd strongly veer away from AVG.  ;) Avast is good (I use it myself), and popular opinion on this forum is towards MS Security Essentials (which I've heard is good) or Comodo (which I know very little about).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]