Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Games with a large degree of randomness?  (Read 841 times)

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games with a large degree of randomness?
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:22:23 pm »

By random, I don't mean like random stupid, but rather randomly generated maps, weapons, enemies, etc. With the latter two being more important than just random maps. Examples of this include Borderlands for it's awesome random weapon system, Elona, Diablo, and obviously DF has quite a bit going for it. Random maps can be game defining if they are as interesting as MC but otherwise, it's just a cool side feature. So, any suggestions?

Thanks!

(Side note: if there is anything even remotely CLOSE to the ambitious efforts of the in-depth randomness of DF's adventure mode, I'd be more than gracious if you could point those out, even if they are still in development.)
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with a large degree of randomness?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:44:40 pm »

Daggerfall's dungeon's were randomly generated molochs with seemingly no end. The quests and settlements were also randomly generated.

Darklands had mostly random events and quests as well.

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:55:02 pm »

http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

E: Oh. Right. Knew this had been done before.

Ah, thank you, I didn't mean to repost something that had been done before, I lurk fairly frequently and never saw that one slip past. Thanks!

EDIT: I guess, specifically then, what games have randomly generated weapons, or highly customizable ones?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:57:22 pm by Flashzom »
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Jasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »

Space rangers 2

One of the most dynamic, randomized and open-ended games I ever played.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:56:55 pm »

It's not really what you're looking for, but Disgaea's items were somewhat customizable. They could both be leveled and inhabited by things to increase various stats, including the chance to add or protect against a handful of status ailments. They were also very slightly randomized, with the number of slots varying a little and the starting inhabitants varying a lot.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.