Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Taming/breeding Invaders mounts? [31.18]  (Read 4940 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming/breeding Invaders mounts? [31.18]
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 06:23:50 pm »

They'll breed and instantly slaughter the resulting tame offspring.  If you want to keep them, you might want to set Giant Toads to have massive litters so the children will swarm their parents.

Man, this game makes people think of morbid things.

No. what you do is remotely uncage the toads (or chain them up individually) in a locked 1X1 room with the sides channeled out. Newborns will spawn next to the mother and immediately fall onto the floor below, then you can harvest the survivors.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 06:29:42 pm »

No. what you do is remotely uncage the toads (or chain them up individually) in a locked 1X1 room with the sides channeled out. Newborns will spawn next to the mother and immediately fall onto the floor below, then you can harvest the survivors.
I've tried this.  It doesn't work.  Newborns don't spawn on adjacent tiles, they spawn on the same tile as their mother.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 06:42:40 pm »

What if the toads were damaged so they are constantly unconcious, but not so that they won't die?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 06:54:25 pm »

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you let frogs of both sexes loose (in an area they can't escape from, so your dwarves don't get hurt), they will mate. Just re-cage them after that and eventually the female will have the offspring - from her cage. She won't be able to harm the tadpoles (?) and you can the do whatever you want with them.

That is an elegant solution. However, for it to be reliable, we really need a way to tell wether an animal is pregnant or not.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 08:55:00 pm »

I'm sure you can tame Toads into war animals.
I mean, come on, whats worse, cute furry dogs in armor, or toads, with their unseeing eyes just staring into the horizon, their skin blotchy, and covered in blood and innards?

Covered in blood and innards? Sounds dwarfy to me
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 09:18:53 pm »

[stuff]
omigod you have a Mr Fish farm!

*cough* Good to know. I hope I can get hold of some jabberers at some point.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think even the offspring of the invader mounts are hostile. The elves brought lot's of bears as mounts and war animals, and some of them gave birth in my cages. I ordered the young ones to be tamed and afterwards i tried to transfer them to another cage. But the dwarfs freaked out and my military killed them, because my animal stockpile is next to the barracks.

first post. :)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 02:27:16 am »

So...  I slaughtered all the caged Toads except for a breeding pair, then pitted the male in a 1x1 pit and released the female into the wilds.  After all, if she went AWOL I'd probably trap a replacement next siege, right?

She promptly headed for a nearby muddy pool and has been sulking for the last couple of seasons.  For safety, I restricted the vicinity of the pool and walled it in, along with a lever operated floodgates "airlock" system to allow selected offspring back out.

So far... no breeding.   :'(

(I suspect that I may've screwed up the genders and have released the male into the wilds... it's hard to tell with the tileset I'm using.  Dammit.  Wish I had some cattle so I could double-check; compare the symbols for Bull & Cow.   But then I'd have thought there'd be offspring in the pit by now if they were breedable.    :-\
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 07:52:38 am »

Wouldn't it be lovely to see the gobbos come back and face their once friendly rides?

Gobbo1: Death to the Dwar- Hey its Spot!!!Come here boy!!
Gobbo2: AWWWW! All of our rides survived!!!
Gobbo Leader: Hey guys, look who i found!! its Waggles!
Gobbo2: AWW! IT HAD BABBY
Gobbo leader: Wait! Why is it killing teh babby?
Gobbo1: No spot!!! no!!!! Heal!!!

fixd

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 08:06:59 am »

In a game where I modded cave crawlers to have sexytimes, I caught and tamed 5-6 of them from a siege. They did make babies, ran around following the animal trainer, and then got brutally mauled by the war elephant horde.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 [2]