Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So i have a dream, what next?  (Read 2359 times)

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So i have a dream, what next?
« on: March 11, 2011, 05:53:26 am »

I've always loved video games, I play about every new game that comes out and get bored of them pretty quickly, but i still didn’t find the game I really want to play, so the obvious thing is that I'll try to make it.
I learned programming C # at school, Forms and stuff, so I don’t really know how to make graphics and crazy stuff.

But that's okay, if  I want to chase after the dream then I'll do it in small steps and within my ability.
on the Economic level, putting a lot of time into the game should meaning I'll need money, that means the game will cost money one way or another, or he will be free, and sponserd by donations / advertisements. Like the people who develop games such as Little Fighter, dwarf fortress, and a few others who have a decent income because of  donations from a large community or with toolbars installed with the game.

So the idea of the game is as follows:  Simulation / Management / Strategy / role play game engine. You build a character and live in a world, you can do whatever you want, being a freelance assassin, the founder of an army of mercenaries, be the king of the dragons, be the Illuminati, a Greek god, the Puss in Boots, manage a factory for paper envelopes or play the person you are in free life.

How does it work? First off there is no "graphics." The game is text based with easy ui, maybe some images. The game is also not really a game, but an engine that allows users to make content such as worlds, character stats, goals and everything will be relatively convenient and easy to make and be able to integrate with content that other users have made. Therefore, the more the game community grows the more there is game content available. I won't detail the whole system and how it will work, because it's not the subject.

To understand how this is going to look, think of Football Manager, the king of dragon pass (a game where you manage a clan through resource management and event screens like "girl ran away from the tribe to marry a man from another tribe, do you 1. Refuse the marriage. 2. agree 3. kill them all "), the campaign of total war, europa universalis, crusader kings And browser games.

So as we said, small steps, we will start programming a certain number of basic systems and options, and the greater the interest, community and the time passes, we will develop them to more sophisticated things with more options.

im facing 2 problems, but a solution can be found. The first is that I'm not a C # professional, so if I'll make this game it will be developed very slowly and in accordance with my progress in programming. Of course the solution is to try anyway or to find a programmer to work with.

The second, which is more problematic if I work alone, is that I'm in the (Israeli) army, each 2 weeks I'm at home for 3 days, which doesn't give me too much time to work.

So of course, finding a partner sounds the most logical step. A Programmer and me (who does everything else, advertising, content, design, anything else), dividing 50 / 50 donations / whatever and make it happen.

Either that or I'm waiting two years for my army service to end, and begins a slow process of learning advanced programming, game development and do all these things alone.

So what should I do? Is someone sharing my dream? Where can I find people who want to develop indie game like me?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: So i have a dream, what next?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:21:11 am »

or to find a programmer to work with.
No. There's about 100 threads like these on this forum alone, and all programmers agree: our current game idea is way better than yours, or anyone elses.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:28:36 am »

Whenever I have a question, I google it. You'd be surprised how many times it has worked.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:00:59 am »

Go to coding events, in the Bay there are nights where a bunch of codes lock themselves in a room and work on games,
Find something akin to this and make connections
Thank you based dwarf.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:46 am »

The only valid path is "start small, learn how to work".  Kick out a project in a week or so.  It doesn't have to be any good, but it DOES have to be FINISHED.  So, pick up tools like Gamemaker that'll let you take a concept from start to finish rapidly, and once you've done a lot of that stuff...you'll get a better idea of what larger projects take.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:14:14 am »

Game making has lots to do with project management. You'll need project management skills or you will run out of resources and motivation. You will have to define objectives, tasks, activities and stuff, than make CPM or PERT chart... ...start with wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_management
Programing wise: start small, like really small. Try everything on paper first.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 06:56:46 pm »

http://unity3d.com/

The best thing you can do is to just get started... once you have stuff working a little bit to show off your concept thats whern you can start getting other people excited enough to pitch in.

I suggest taking a look at Unity. its a engine that is free to use. and it will allow you to keep working with C#. Go trough some tutorials... mess around with the help files, and build some fun things, even if the art are only cubes and spheres :).

like the others have said its probably a better idea to do a few smaller attempts at making fun games before starting on your masterpiece. (also, seeing game development as just a hobby might help aswell)

Goodluck.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:06:30 pm »

I don't think simply having a cool idea for a game is enough on its own ... you'll probably have more success if you're able to construct at least a framework/tech demo to show off (and thus learn more about your programming language of choice), that way you might be able to attract some more experienced code-smiths.

You mentioned that you already have Winforms experience, so just build on that. Check out some of the XNA stuff, Unity stuff, 3D Buzz stuff, YouTube tutorials and all the various game dev forums and so on, or get more practiced at using a console library like libtcod (if that is still being updated). I dunno man, it's your project, you'll have to write out your design document(s) and get the pieces in place to see what you need.

More importantly, start small. Make a single portion of your game first, something really simple and focused, so you can practice. If you start on a grand project without serious experience, you'll dig yourself into serious holes while setting yourself on fire.

Alternatively, accept that it's too much work and let the dream die.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »

That game sounds a lot like a game under development by Lord Dullard right here on the forum. It's called Cult and looks promising.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 07:33:06 pm »

You could always slowly practice your game dev skills in the monthly roguelike festival:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78475.0

Its a fairly lightweight, no-commitment way to learn.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:09 pm »

That game sounds a lot like a game under development by Lord Dullard right here on the forum. It's called Cult and looks promising.
It sounds like the Great American Novel of gaming:  The thing everyone says they want to make, at some point in their life.  And by everyone I mean EVERYONE.  It's so all-encompassing as to be completely un-unique, really.

But yeah, ideas are a dime a dozen.  The implementation is the only thing that matters.  At the end of the day, if you can't get something out the door, what have you accomplished?  Besides edifying yourself, not much.

Jaded?  Me?  Naaahhhh.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

TheMastermind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 04:20:06 am »

Lord Dullard's cult really sounds like my game ^^

So i understand, i need to start making my game and having something to show off. hopefully in some time from now i'll post it here and see what you think :D

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 04:07:43 pm »

I would like to second Levi's suggestion that you check out the monthly roguelike festival. We have a bunch of resources posted and the people who frequent it are pretty cool and helpful! Check the link in my sig. /shamelessplug

As for the actual topic, go for it! Practical advice: remember you're going to be in this for the long haul. Working on my own crazy-ambitious dream project, I've found that it's much better to construct it from the ground up. That is, set up framework for the crunchy core of the gameplay- combat, conversation, etc.- before you work on the fluffier elements. It doesn't have to be detailed; my own conversation system right now is just "Hello, my name is 1," and the combat is ludicrously simple, but remember that your first and foremost goal is to produce something that could be fun. When you have a tech demo going, and you can play it for a few minutes going "Yeah, I can see the potential here," that is the absolute best way to get motivated. And when you're programming for yourself, that's all you really need to get through to version 1.0.