Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random FPS drop?  (Read 520 times)

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random FPS drop?
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:33:56 pm »

So Spring comes. I'm going along at 99-100FPS. The elven caravan comes, and I get a MASSIVE drop in FPS. Down to the high 20s,hovering around 28.

So I figure, okay, not a problem, the caravan was the cause, I'll buy nothing from it and it will leave.

The caravan left. The FPS drop didn't.

Getting quite angry* at this point, I use DFHack to spread magma all around the outside of my fort. Every surface tile is covered. The magma evaporates. No FPS increase.

*not really, but I needed an excuse to do this. >_>

I didn't discover or do anything that could lead to such a huge drop, from what I know. I am quite confused now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 07:37:17 pm by Alexei403 »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Random FPS drop?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:41:40 pm »

Do you have any ghosts wandering around?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »

I...might? I made a few memorials, I can go make the rest.

Shouldn't have TOO many, though, maybe around 5 or 6 if everybody rose up and was all ghosty?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 08:25:56 pm »

Are you on an Evil biome? It's possible that a large swarm of zombie crundles or something like that, and they're spewing miasma all over and eating your FPS that way.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »

Nope, it's not an evil biome.

I thought maybe I had a few ambushes waiting since I'm closed off from the outside until my military can learn to stop dying, but the magma should have taken care of them, right? Or is that not a factor when the enemies aren't visible yet?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:55:36 pm »

I...might? I made a few memorials, I can go make the rest.

Shouldn't have TOO many, though, maybe around 5 or 6 if everybody rose up and was all ghosty?

There seems to be a somewhat random bug that causes FPS to drop dramatically due to ghosts. Sometimes, there's no problem with ghosts at all, but sometimes, only 1 ghost is enough to make your FPS bug out.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:56:23 pm »

Okay, and I assume making the memorials solves this, since there are no more ghosts? Or does it stay crazy forever?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:33:57 am »

but the magma should have taken care of them, right? Or is that not a factor when the enemies aren't visible yet?

it would have absolutely taken care of them.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 02:15:56 am »

Have you tried saving and reloading?  It worked for me once after a bit of fun with glaciers and magma.  Steam-generation lagged up the game and even trying to make more steam didn't help.  A save and a reload and it was back to normal.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 03:29:39 am »

Saving and restarting seemed to work, actually. Didn't want to start playing until I'd had at least some idea of how to fix the problem, but if the problem goes away on its own I'm perfectly okay with that.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 06:57:48 am »

Are you playing on a laptop by any chance?
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:24:31 am »

Yep, my laptop is faster (and better in general, specwise) than my desktop.

Which is pretty sad, now that I think about it. >_>

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:26:44 am »

The reason I ask is that on my laptop (Lenovo 3000 N500, pretty old now), although it's fine at first, at some point the fans will kick in hardcore and the game (the whole system, in fact) will slow a crawl. As I've heard that laptops have problems with heating, I can only assume that the CPU reaches such a high temp that processing is throttled back (perhaps someone more tech savvy than I can explain better). Might be the same thing happening to you.

There doesn't seem to be any fix either - pausing the game for a while works, but only temporarily.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 08:38:31 am »

Eh, the fans do go on when playing but aren't really consistent with an FPS drop by any means.