Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh gosh. Oh gosh Oh gosh.  (Read 1448 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh gosh. Oh gosh Oh gosh.
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »

I thought I had found the perfect embark.
Plenty of trees, Fishing spots, Flux, Iron.
Then I checked the wildlife.

Jackal.
and elephants.

Are elephants as bad as boatmurdered made them out?
I'm scared.  :-[

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
Re: Oh gosh. Oh gosh Oh gosh.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »

Jackal.
and elephants.

They're much better nowadays.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:24:19 pm »

Jackal.
and elephants.

And by better, he means gentle. We each have a different definition of better...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:26:31 pm »

Oh gosh that was hilarious.

My miners were leaving the fort to get to the wagon, (new fort)
There were elephants near the entrance so I was all like.

"Oh gosh. Oh gosh. What are they doing. Go away elephants. Run! RUUUN!"

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »

Elephants are a huge boon now instead of a death knell.  Capture a few, tame 'em, turn 'em into War Elephants, and your fort will be set for life.  You can butcher most of their offspring to keep your fort well-fed (ludicrously so, in fact; it's not uncommon for a single baby elephant to provide enough meat to feed a fort of 100 for a full season), and anything stupid enough to get past your fortress' entrance will meet the Terror of Boatmurdered and discover for themselves just why you don't mess with elephants.

Now skeletal elephants, on the other hand...  That's when you either dig deep and wall up the outside or abandon now and save yourself the trouble.
Sanity is for the weak.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »

Also, I seem to have to luck with Cage Traps. Nothing'll go into em.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 02:46:17 pm »

Jackal.
and elephants.

And by better, he means gentle. We each have a different definition of better...

Well, they won't go on a murderous rampage if you even dare breathe in their direction.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 02:55:59 pm »

Animals have migration patterns.  Set up your traps in their migration route, and at least for a little while, you'll catch a lot more animals.  Eventually they shift their migration routes to account for Dwarven constructions (that really caught me off guard the first time I noticed it), but you can counteract that by building a "trap wall".  It's basically a cross shape with 5-tile-long walls for arms that has cage traps built along said walls on all sides.  Build one of those along an animal migration route, and it'll take years for them to adapt to it (giving you entire hordes of animals in the meantime).

It looks something like this:

^O^
    ^O^
    ^O^
    ^O^
^^^^^O^^^^^
OOOOOOOOOOO
^^^^^O^^^^^
    ^O^
    ^O^
    ^O^
    ^O^
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:07:26 pm by SkyRender »
Sanity is for the weak.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:00 pm »

I usually just randomly scatter about 10 cage traps around the map, and after a year or two I've caught more than enough wildlife.  Hell, in the last 5 years I've even caught 3 giant eagles... All males though.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:13 pm »

Animals have migration patterns.  Set up your traps in their migration route, and at least for a little while, you'll catch a lot more animals.  Eventually they shift their migration routes to account for Dwarven constructions (that really caught me off guard the first time I noticed it), but you can counteract that by building a "trap wall".  It's basically a cross shape with 5-tile-long walls for arms that has cage traps built along said walls on all sides.  Build one of those along an animal migration route, and it'll take years for them to adapt to it (giving you entire hordes of animals in the meantime).
if you replace the center trap with a wooden archery target you can attract the building destroyers like giant desert scorpions.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 06:40:45 pm »

I've found the best way to trap wildlife is to build a wall around the entire map and have only one entrance to the fort from outside the walls.  The wildlife can't seem to resist the urge to charge headlong into my traps.  Not what I had intended.

The nice side-effect, though, is seeing "Bomrek McMason is organizing a party at the Unicorn Cage (lead)" every few months.  There's something deliciously dwarven about keeping three or four herds of wild Unicorns trapped in a lead cage miles underground.  ;)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »

I've found the best way to trap wildlife is to build a wall around the entire map

To each his own, but to me this is far too unsporting, and I daresay undwarvenly.

My 'random 10 cages scattered on the ground across the map' strategy just caught me my 4th giant eagle, and now I have a breeding pair.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:03:34 pm »

Elephants are awesome to have if you use hunters or militia meat makers.  Elephant bits are worth a good amount and they produce a ridiculous amount of product. 
They will still kick your dwarven brains in sometimes if you get into melee with them though. 

In regards to traps, if you have rhesus macaques on your map nothing is more hilarious than having a stockpile outside your fort surrounded by serrated disc traps! 
It's like watching a fireworks display made of meat!